New Ipad Pro Has Facial Recognition , Like The Iphone X Has

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This post really should be under the family section, for Best Daughter in the World; but since it is about a tech device, I am putting it here.
    Yesterday, my daughter (Robin) said she was going to come and spend the day at our house and make sure I got my new medications, and things like that.
    Little did @Bobby Cole and I know that she was bringing us new iPads !

We now each have one of the brand new 3rd Generation IPad Pro, in the large 12.9 size . So, a lot of yesterday was spent setting up everything and getting used to the new iPads.
    Because of the new facial recognition, there is no need for Touch ID anymore, and the Home Button is gone completely.
    Instead of using that to close an app, you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
    The Touch ID could be “touchy”, because if you had been working outside and your fingerprint was rougher than usual, or any little difference, then the ID didn’t work right, and you had to use your passcode instead to open the ipad.
    Now, as soon as you hold the iPad up and it sees any view of your face, it unlocks. You can make more than one face-scan, so I made one with my reading glasses, and one without.

There is basically no edge border on this iPad, and the screen goes edge to edge. It is really thin and lightweight, and I think that it weighs less than my smaller 9.7 5th Generation, and definitely a whole lot less than my 1st generation iPad Pro , which is what I have been using for about the last 2-3 years.
    Since I have the new iPad, I sent my old iPad Pro to my youngest son, who lives out in Washington State, and he is excited about getting one of the larger iPads.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

So pleased you're pleased - makes ya feel all fluffy inside don't it

Wish I was as tech savvy as you :)

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My kids raised me well, @Patsy Faye .....

Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.