New Mayor And Sheriff Elections Coming Up

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have been getting flyers in the mail about our existing Mayor and Sheriff running again. Thing is, both vowed to slow up, actually stop, the murders here in Jacksonville, but it just hasn't happened. The gangs here are laughing at both of them! A lady, who is going for Mayor states that she feels that both the current Mayor and Sheriff have completely let this city down. She says that she will do much better.

Well, just yesterday here, there were three murders in a 9 hour period.

My question, to anyone, is...…...just how is a Mayor and/or the Sheriff suppose to stop murders? Come to find out, there are many felon's that live in Jacksonville and they all possess stolen guns.

If you lived here, what would you tell a new Mayor and/or Sheriff how to stop all of the murders here?

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, I’d tell them to gather up a posse and go round up the critters and take them to the gallows down at the waterfront.

Actually, 1. the mayor should allow the police to do their job and 2. Close up all the bottle clubs around town and 3. Have a police car sitting at every bar right at closing time.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Bobby, the murders this weekend, had nothing to do with bars.

One was a planned fight between two young females on a basketball court when shots rang out. A 24 year old man was instantly killed and a child was "in the line of fire", shot and later died.

Second was a woman who shot another woman, as the woman was leaving her front door. It was reported that there was an ongoing dispute between the women. The shooter was 46 and the victim is 41. The shooter was caught and is being charged with murder.

Third was a drive-by, where a 20 something was shot and killed.

Another murder yesterday, but I don't remember the info on it.

Total, with the four murders, there were 6 shootings here over the weekend.

It is also being reported that, since the year started, there have been 21 confirmed murders. Additional homicides remain under investigation and are pending classification...…….report done by JSO.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We have had two store clerks shot and killed in about a five mile radius from our apt..just recently. Very unusual for here.
    Stiffer laws for drug related issues...like one warning...next your shot on site..no questions asked.

5. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Amazing our Constitution held in such low regard, i.e. the due process clause.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes, due process is a most important element if in fact, the due process wasn’t so skewed and easily tampered with.
    In my neighborhood, all the dopers and pushers are “confidential informants” or so it has been reported to me via a couple of dopers and pushers.
    They get busted about once every couple of months and are out on the streets a week or two later doing the same thing they were doing.
    Short of vigilantism, there really isn’t a whole lot a person can do because the laws which protect the bad guys also serve to create an “anything goes” atmosphere.
    I have seen cases whereby the parents of pre-teens will send their kids on dope deliveries. If the kids are caught, the parents deny their involvement and the kids get sent to juvie for a small period of time.

Just as outside example of justice gone bad, there have been recent cases of murder and rape throughout the country and for whatever reason, “cultural differences” are used to defend the assailant which in essence, disregards our own laws.

Do note though; I am not advocating going out and banging heads but do in fact wish that our laws applied to all people and with very little wiggle room to beat them.

Tom Galty likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

From what I've read, Jacksonville has had a "gun violence" problem for years. We found out very fast, after moving here, what the violence was like, but 10 years later...…..way, way out of control. We just thank God that we've already been downtown, some years ago, for the annual Christmas Boat Parade and 4th of July Fireworks. We might go downtown during the daytime, but not anymore at night. No way!

From the way it looks, new apartments (3 and 4-story high) going up not far from us, apparently lots of people are going to be moving here. Really seems like the people in the area we live in, don't give a hoot about the crime/killings here. I'm just wondering, if we get a new Mayor and Sheriff, will the crime get better this time? Bobby, do you think a new Mayor and Sheriff is the answer?

8. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Quote from post #1.
    " Come to find out, there are many felon's that live in Jacksonville and they all possess stolen guns."

Post # 3 examples

1. One was a planned fight between two young females on a basketball court.
    2. Second was a woman who shot another woman, as the woman was leaving her front door
    3. Third was a drive-by, where a 20 something was shot and killed.

Felons with guns potential to do something about, but random murders not going to be reduced unless & until life of another means something to the person willing to murder.

Promises by politicians to reduce murder are hollow but sound good to law abiding citizens.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, now (yesterday's news) it's being suggested...……"bring in the National Guard" by a politician here. Many are stating that local law enforcement just can't handle the gun violence that is occurring here.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our Mayor doesn't want the National Guard brought in. As he has stated before, and so has other Mayors, "we can handle this crime problem ourselves".……...which, obviously has not happened.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It takes more than one or two raindrops to water a garden.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm trying to imagine what the guard would do. Did that politician explain what the National Guard would do?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Without a State Emergency and/or a Martial Law situation put in place, I doubt that the National Guard would be of much use or if they could even be called out.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The Mayor can request them, but, as of an interview with him yesterday, by local news, he definitely won't do that. He stated that he doesn't want Jacksonville to turn into a "military state". I'm now seeing re-election signs for both the Mayor and Sheriff stating how much they made Jacksonville safer. Now, that statement is definitely a joke!

Anyway, we'll see what happens this coming weekend with crime.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Patrol the streets, just like our law enforcement does. But, I really believe people here, perhaps including gang members, would respect the National Guard much more than the do local law enforcement. National Guard doesn't have their "hands tied" like law enforcement does, when it comes to enforcing the law.

Bobby Cole likes this.