New Oranges

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Our little Valencia Orange tree, planted 5 years ago, we obtained out of Wal-Mart's "scrap nursery" offering for $15. This year it has more blossoms than ever, last year it produced about 10 oranges; 4 or 5 remain on the tree now, hidden from view, look closely. There are perhaps 100 blossoms or more. The second pic shows two new, baby oranges smaller than a green pea at the very right-center, kinda blurry. We love this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

What a crown jewel you have. Even if it never produces any fruit, what an asset you have. From its lowly Walmart beginning you have a friend, a friend who is producing oxygen, something we all need and often forget to say a simple, thank you. When you pass the tree or stop near it, give a big breath out and whisper a thanks for the exchange of gifts you have made. A lovely tree.

3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bill Boggs
    Thank you! Those blossoms are very fragrant; my wife tells me she can smell them all over our patio. Alas, my sense of smell is shot, and I cannot. But I well-remember driving on Baseline Rd. in Phoenix when we lived there, past many miles of citrus groves, the smell permeated the neighborhoods there, AND I enjoyed it!

Today, "progress" has placed homes and businesses all along that previous drive; the thousands of trees are all gone......

Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Rather sad. But that's the any of progress.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I recall camping in an orange grove in the Orlando area when they still had them. While the scent was enchanting from a distance, it was overpoering almost to the point of nausea when in the midst of all those flowering trees.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice plant Frank....I love orange trees..

We have orange trees aplenty at our second home in Spain although the oranges are tart and only good for cooking and making marmalade ... my daughter also has some smaller trees on her land.. which produce very sweet oranges.. :)

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    In Phoenix, such trees were termed "ornamental orange". I picked a few off a tree covered with them outside one of our favorite restaurants, and was surprised at home when I peeled one: it was definitely inedible!
    Frank

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

In Southern Spain there are acres of them growing along the side of the roads... as well as many , many orange groves...some sweet straight off the tree , some not!!

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Do you suppose those trees are growing wild, still cultivated, or abandoned as once citrus groves?
    Frank

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

I think probably all of the above tbh.... just depends what area they're in...