New Solar Power Plant Nearby

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Our power company, Mohave Electric Coop has entered into agreements building and sustaining solar power plants here in the sun-drenched desert. This one is about 2 miles from our house. We happened upon it while it was under construction, back in 2011 or 12 while we were snowbirding here and looking for a place to live permanently. The Co. recently officially dedicated the operation, and told of this in our monthly newsletter, Currents, which I am presenting. I am all for this type of land use and use of solar energy otherwise simply heating up the desert, which is already plenty hot! There are zillions of acres of desert having only natural vegetation, consisting of Creosote, Saltbush, etc., and, admittedly, desert-dwelling animals. Those animals, ground birds such as Quail, snakes, scorpions, Roadrunners, Doves, Chipmunks, Rabbits, and so forth, easily adapt to changing conditions, such as the denuding of 100 acres or so, to install solar collectors. Undoubtedly, many will be engaging in food-gathering amongst the collectors in short order. Personally, I do not believe the environment finds such power generation to be detrimental. Frank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe Riley, Faye Fox and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Ken, the above would more appropriately be under "Energy", my slip-up. Move it, if you feel it's appropriate. Thanks. Frank

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think I'll just ban you for putting it in the wrong place, @Frank Sanoica.
    ;)

I was about to go to bed so I will move it tomorrow morning.

4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Hope you have a good night's sleep, considering.........
    Frank

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like a good deal for everybody. There a few solar farms being built around here but most of our land is useful farmland or forest.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have no problem with solar power, but I do have a problem with the tax incentives that are being offered to those who are setting up large-scale solar farms even while the advantages to homeowners incorporating solar power are being actively cut.

Someone invests a lot of money in solar power, often under regulations that require power companies to buy back any extra power generated. In time, the power companies notice a drop in their own profits so they turn to government to change the deal.

Some cities are requiring that people be connected to an electric utility even when they are set up to generate their own power, and the base rates are increased so as to minimize the savings to the homeowner.

We see that everywhere, actually. After years of encouraging high gas mileage in cars, states are noticing the loss in tax revenue from gasoline taxes so they want to charge for the miles driven now, on top of the gasoline tax.

I'm not so sure that the establishment support for the legalization of marijuana isn't driven by the loss of tax revenue from tobacco sales. How long will it be before we're spending another fortune to fight big marijuana, and taxing the stuff the point where few people can afford it?

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Georgia Power has installed the first one of these a few miles from here. It covers 10 acres, 2 megawatts. Happened across it looking at satellite images last night. I don't understand how it works yet, in terms of what customers are served, etc. Do you have to live nearby it?

upload_2021-7-30_11-6-56.png

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

From dealing with small solar panels on top of RVs, my question would be how on earth will they keep those ACRES of panels clean?? The effectiveness of solar panels is greatly reduced when they get dirty.

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My guess is that they'll create a job for someone to keep them clean. But of course that doesn't really matter because we've eliminated a carbon fired plant

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm thinking about minutia like "middle of desert... where's the water??" 84 acres is a LOT of panels to keep clean.

11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Water's not there? No problem we'll just truck it in using electric powered trucks.

Joe Riley and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Or they could just tap into that water pipeline that routes to CA. :D:D

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I understand you have to be very rich to grow pot for resale.It takes a 25,000000 million dollar bond to grow it in Flroda. So its just another slap in the face of the little man.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Cleaning solar cell lenses is part of the new exciting environmental jobs created. Millions pouring over the border to take part in this brave new world.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you seen them? Most couldn't make it to the panels ,all out of shape. None of them walked to get here like we'er being told. They were transported.

Faye Fox likes this.