New Word Usage Do You Have One? Awesome

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

AWESOME is a word that seems to be popping up frequently in conversation, print, email, texting by everyone everywhere. I just got a email from someone in New Zealand that expressed that my idea that I sent them was Awesome. How do buzz words get started and then picked up and used by everyone?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am still saying that from the LAST TIME that it was popular and in vogue. Glad to hear that i am now up to date on new words, and i can continue to say Awesome !

3. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

OK. This one always gets me and I will hold onto my curmudgeonly ways.
    HEALTHY.
    Everything is healthy these days. Cheerios are healthy. A healthy way to start your day. Organic bananas are healthy...
    NO. they are not. They are healthful.
    Things/people are healthy if they are free of disease. They are healthful if they are good for your health.
    And I will tell you. If the people who make an effort to buy organic produce knew what fertilizer was used to grow their produce organically, they might think twice. I built my garden soil with bedding-free horse apples and cow manure. My daughter is having great luck with rabbit manure.
    And we have had glorious broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower and tomatoes this year. Not cucumbers, though. Not sure why.
    And I saw my chickens fighting over a dead frog today. Even saw them chasing a mouse once.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree. Another expression that makes me peevish is "clean," in relation to food/eating. "Clean eating." Oh, brother. :rolleyes:

Mary Miller and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

We up here say about the Corona virus that we are...…. clean and safe....
    Well, is it really the proper way to describe the virus ????

6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Just heard Obama use it in his speech at the DNC.;)

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My thoughts on how certain words become...

I will find a word or hear a word and like it and use it repeatedly. Then someone else hears it and does the same and so on and so on.

I don't hear too much in a conversation anymore that I care to repeat in a conversation of my own. I use to say 'That's neat' but I'm back to 'That's nice.' How 'square, hip, down' I am. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Two words come to mind. I remember when "rad" was a common word among young folks. Then, the word "cool" came back from years and years ago. Wife and I will sometimes say that word. When I talk to wife's brother, I will call him "dude", at times.

9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't hard the verb "traipsing" in a long time.

"There goes a that stray dog again...traipsing through my garden."

Hal

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Far out, man.

11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I can dig it, Dude!

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've picked up the habit of saying "like" as a useless addition to sentences rather than use as a simile. I cringe every time I hear it come out of my own mouth.

I was dining out once and there were a couple of late-teens girls in the booth behind me. One of them lost her train of thought, and rather than say "um" until she got back on track she said "like"

"He was like...like...like...like...like..." At first I was annoyed. Then I felt kinda sorry for her.

Regarding annoying new phrases in food, there's a lot of "Eat Local" going on around these here parts. It's not only bad English, it's bad policy that does the exact opposite of what it's purported to do. But it's catchy. And it sounds hip.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Not exactly in line with the thread title, but it seems like "you know?" is sprinkled in too many conversations. You know?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Off-topic but related. Is anyone else irritated by dropped syllables in words such as 'important'? I hear it often as impor....ent. Other words are pronounced with the same dropped syllables. Why? Can't they pronounce a 't' or other consonant? I have an overreaction to this.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I mean, like uh, you know the word “fluid”? Yeah, like, I mean it’s used in so many different ways now, ya know?

Like uh, when they say, gender fluid or a fluid age or I mean, how about a “fluid Constitution”? When I, uh, I mean, first heard “fluid Constitution” I thought like, ya know.....that thing that happens when ya have too much fiber like, hash tag major not awesome at all.