Ninja Coffee Bar

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We're not shopping at Sam's Club anymore because of their racist CEO, a position that is made easier by the fact that BJ's just put a store in a couple of blocks away, offering pretty much the same stuff at the same prices.

We bought a Ninja Coffee Bar at BJ's today. With it, we can make a regular sized cup, a larger cub, a half carafe, or a full carafe of hot coffee, or we can also brew iced coffee and a number of specialty brews.

ninja.jpg

Since we will mostly be making regular coffees, at least until the summer heat comes, we can also choose between a classic brew or a rich brew, for a stronger coffee.

That's the up-side. The down-side is that we might have to go back to school for six months to figure out how to make it work.

Or it might turn out like my juicer, something that's very nice except that it's so much of a hassle to use and to clean that I have only used it a few times.

Usually, I don't have to bother with directions but, with this thing, I am reading the instructions before I even try it, as it has a complicated look about it, and a lot of pieces.

Right now, I'd like a cup of coffee but if I make a pot of coffee in the regular drip coffeemaker, my wife will get upset because I'm not using the new one.

Time will tell.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. Ken Anderson

Making regular coffee is easy enough. Although it's still brewing, it looks like coffee, so I'm sure it'll turn out okay.

Later... Yup, it tastes like coffee all right. Of course, the coffee that I made with our $10 drip coffeemaker tasted distinctly like coffee too. Okay, I'll probably never use any of the fancy stuff, like having it automatically brew coffee at a set time, but my wife probably will, and it does look prettier. I'm not sure that it looks $140 prettier, but it does look prettier.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't know Sam's CEO is racist.....what did he do or say?

4. Ken Anderson

Their CEO is a black woman and, in a speech about diversity in the workplace, she revealed that when she meets with a supplier and finds that all of the upper management personnel are white, she will threaten to drop them as a supplier, while she has no problem doing business with all-black companies. Although I don't believe anyone has asked her publicly yet, it is highly unlikely that she demands that same diversity of Sam's Club's many Chinese suppliers. You'll find several links to it on a search, and it was all over their Facebook page the last time I looked.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I did find it after googling it. Wasnt online too much today maybe that's why I missed it.

I don't shop there anyway.

Also, good looking coffee maker but I will just stick to my simple one...don't like anything that takes extra effort to clean.

My son has a juicer and they barely use it because of the mess and clean up.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

As it turns out, the coffee maker isn't difficult to clean. The juicer is another thing, however.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

So, @Ken Anderson , are you telling us that you bought a $150+ Ninja Coffee Bar, and you are still only drinking the plain, black coffee like you made in your $10 drip coffee maker ?
    Nothing that is fluffed, frozen, or frapp-e'd ? Hot and steaming , mixed with mocha ?
    Cinnamon eggnog latte, maybe ?
    We want to hear about all of those wonderful coffee drinks that they make in the Ninja Coffee Bar commercial !

Maybe what you need is @Sifu Phil Bonifonte's glamorous Mixer-Lady from the commercial ?
    http://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/ninja-coffee-bar-wonderful-or-a-rip-off.2176/

8. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I'm just using it to make coffee that is the equivalent of what I could get from the $10 drop coffeemaker. The rest requires reading, and I may not get around to that for a while.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the idea of having one of these, but I know I'd do the same. Plus, I have less than 5 feet of counter space in my kitchen, which is why I downsized and sold my larger Cuisinart Coffee On Demand for this smaller unit I'm using. I'm not really into watching videos much, but if I had one of those coffee makers, I'd probably look for one, so I could at least make a few different drinks. This one just uses regular coffee though, not pods, doesn't it? I'd rather just scoop the coffee out myself than have to buy pods. My sister has a Keurig, and the pods can get expensive. I know there are generic ones you can use, but apparently the newer Keurigs have found a way around that, with some sort of lid that needs to be electronically scanned by the coffee makers, at least from what I've heard.

I have seen a lot on Twitter about the Sam's CEO debacle. I also noticed after it came out, that I was given a few surveys about my opinion of Sam's Club, so it seems they're looking into the matter. These days, everyone can feel free to express his/her opinion and discriminate, as long as the opinions and actions are politically correct. That will stop when people start boycotting, and the discriminatory practices hit them in the wallet. Unfortunately, the boycotts will end up hurting some others, such as innocent employees who could be laid off, but that's how these things work. I've always tried to work for/with companies that didn't discriminate, and were in line with my beliefs, and I guess it's time others will have to do that as well.

10. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

WOW! I was offline for most of December and missed several interesting posts, just like this, and haven't seen this Ninja Coffer Bar before, but looks terrific.

About one month later, how are you doing with this machine Ken?

Looks tempting for me to buy :rolleyes:

Lois Winters and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Pretty much the same thing that I could have done with a $10 drip coffee maker.

12. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my! So this seems to be like many other kitchen appliances; nice looking appearance, higher price tag, but equal or sometimes worst functionality :confused:

13. Ken Anderson

No, it'll do all sorts of things. It'll probably even do the dishes and feed the cat. I just haven't been in the mood to read the manual.

14. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, I would imagine that the different-sized cup feature would be interesting - sometimes you just want a cup, maybe sometimes a carafe?

Don't feel too badly - I doubt I'd be using all the other fancy features myself unless I got really bored one day.

15. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I have used the one-cup option when I want one cup of coffee late at night, but that doesn't happen often. I generally drink coffee all day, so the carafe option makes the most sense.