No More Columbus Day On October 14 - Indigenous People's Day

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

OK So old Columbus was not a very nice man and did some really bad things but he did provide school children with some prose to recite. I wonder what other holidays are under the scrutiny of the Do Good Folks?

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps it would be better if Watling Island in the Bahamas celebrated Columbus Day since that’s where he probably landed. On the other hand, we might change our Columbus Day to match up with the Nov. 6th celebration of “Stranded Without a Compass Day”.

Indigenous People’s Day? If Custer had only promised Sitting Bull that in a couple of hundred years the U.S. would celebrate “Indigenous People’s Day, I’m sure the Sioux would have simply laid down their weapons and invited the 7th Cavalry to have dinner with them.

Let’s see now. Other Holidays under attack. Hmmmmmm.......How about Christmas and Easter? Seems like every year for the last 20-30 years there’s a big fracas somewhere in the U.S. over someone’s Nativity Scene or Christmas lights and such.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Christmas has already been under attack with the "happy holidays" nonsense. I don't know why there is always such a dust-up over a good-will greeting. I don't believe anyone saying "Merry Christmas" has any ulterior motive.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

They need to take a look at the sorid history of Valentine's Day.

The ancient Romans may also be responsible for the name of our moderndayof love. Emperor Claudius II executed two men — both namedValentine— on Feb. 14 of different years in the 3rd century A.D. Their martyrdom was honored by the Catholic Church with the celebration of St.Valentine's Day.Feb 13, 2011

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I could care less about any holiday. I think the government needs to get out of it and leave it to the people what day or days they want to celebrate. Most holidays are about making money. Domestic violence is worse on holidays, more auto accidents, theft, scams galore, etc. I say leave it up people what days they want to celebrate. Most holidays are religious based and I am an advocate of separation of church and state. It makes me disgusted this time of year when I get so many organizations begging for cash to feed hungry people on thanksgiving day. Most hungry people I know are hungry every day, not just on holidays. Anyway they should have done away with stupid days like Columbus day that just applied to government and banks and not tried to cover crimes of the past by calling it indigenous peoples day. Everyday is something day depending if you get the deluxe model calendar that has all the days of recognition on it. I opted for the discount calendar and it says today is nothing other than Saturday. What a disappointment. No reason for me to celebrate. I think I will put a shot of brandy in my coffee this morning just in case I am overlooking an important day.

6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I guess it's only a matter of time before I will have to wear a paper bag over my head in public in apology for being a white Christian.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nope. Not even in speculation.
    In relation to your statement, the only apology a person should ever offer up that they’re sorry that they haven’t been a Better Christian and / or a Better man or woman. And as far as race goes, I’m not ever going to apologize for what God made me.

And besides, it’s derned hard to find a decent paper bag nowadays that’ll go with your shoes and purse.

Faye Fox and Bess Barber like this.
  8. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I can make it work. :D

images - 2019-10-13T060829.004.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope, not working Bess. Gotta get a turtle neck long sleeve and long length top.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

It's 6:30 a.m. What are you doing up?? Well, good morning anyway!!!!