North Korea To Give Up Nukes? I Don't Think So

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The Rocket Man has gone through a lot of time and expense developing reactors for producing PU239 and has also developed many methods for enriching U235 for weapons grade use, which has led to the production of nuclear tipped missiles with intercontinental range. He has had his own successful "Manhattan Project"!

Does anyone actually thing that he's willing to give up being one of the World's Nuclear Powers?

I don't!

H.P.
    553.jpg

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

He should be able to keep something back though, just as other countries
    As long as he behaves himself

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree with Patsy and we shall see what happens...so far so good.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, lets not push the boat out too far - it might sink !

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

You never know. Trump seems to be disappointed that his "deal" with Kim is not praised enough. IMHO it is way too early for Trump to claim he'd saved millions of lives and that the world could now sleep well. After all, nothing specific was agreed in contrast to earlier agreements but which were then not adhered to. That's why some consider such a vague statement of intent to be an advantage because it may leave leeway to both parties.
    It sounds factitious to me that Trump heaped so much praise on Kim (as he sadly always does on anyone he's talked to). There's no doubt, however, that the meeting was a good start and that it was a good move of Trump to change his mind and to eventually meet Kim thus reducing the tensions a bit. He will be well-advised, though, not to trust Kim but to keep a close eye on him and to keep working toward more precise steps of denuclearizing the Korean peninsula which will take years. Promising to put an end to the "war games" on it is also a good concession.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  6. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Imo and I have said it before, it isn't about NK giving up nukes, but rather keeping SK and Japan from developing their own. Any meaningful military action to have prevented NK's nuclear development was always shot down by SK and quite rightly so, given the likelihood of mass casualties in a conventional retaliation. NK will never give up their arsenal and will now build upon it.

The age of the U.S. having forces overseas to defend SK (or anyone else) under the principle of M.A.D. is long gone. Let SK, Japan and others take on the full burden.

Frankly, I hope that was the message being sent to powers in the region and elsewhere... and is long overdue.