Not Thinking Or Just Don't Care?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 14, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Which do you think people do more of, "not thinking" or "just don't care"?

My belief is, I think a lot of folks definitely know what they are doing, but they just don't care about others.

Take for instance:

You pull up to a stop sign and stop. The car behind you goes around you and through the stop sign. There is no oncoming traffic to the right or left and the person continues on driving, while you are going....."what the heck???" (or worse language)

Where you live, your bedroom faces a street or apartment complex parking lot. At 4AM, people come out of their apartment or house and are talking like it is 2PM in the afternoon. They are so loud, that you wake up.

Someone goes flying down the freeway, weaving in and out of traffic and barely misses your car.

Sometimes people may not be "thinking", but I think nine times out of ten, people simply don't care.

Your feelings?

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree, it seems that more and more people just don't give a damn about other people when it comes to manners, and downright civility.

We all own our houses here where I live but the house next door is a rental. The people who live there are Russians..2, couples in their mid to late 30's and a dog ( they did have 2) .. .

They know my husband gets up for work at 5am..yet as you say Cody, they are out sometimes at 2 am in the back garden , talking as loudly or even more loudly as if it was 2 in the afternoon...and because of course it's night time and quiet it's even louder than it would normally be..

The men are very tall and quite intimidating, but I'm not afraid to go out and tell them to be quiet when my husband is sleeping..

I call them the Entitled generation but they're far from alone in thinking only of themselves..

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I remember, when we lived on the second floor, above a garage that was rented to another tenant, in Colorado. Our bedroom was next to the stairs and, before moving our bed to another wall, the head of the bed was on the wall next to the stairs. Three young girls moved into the apartment across from us and worked at a bar at night. I had to get up at 6AM to be to work at 7AM. The girls came home at 2:45AM and were talking and climbing the stairs (thumping their feet) like it was noon. I had my pj's on, got a flashlight and encountered them as they came up the steps. They said they had no idea they were talking that loud or thumping their feet...……...I seriously doubt that. They said they were sorry. Luckily, I was able to go back to sleep. Well, the "sorry" only last a few days and it happened again. And, again, me and my flashlight encountered them. They, again, said they were sorry and I said "Please, please don't let it happen again. There are folks sleeping here." It didn't happen again...…….why? They ended up moving out.

As far as the garage went, the one below our apartment, when the people who were renting it (with their apartment) moved, we grabbed it. End of hearing the garage door going up and down all the time and us not doing it.

Bobby Cole and Kitty Carmel like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

A "don't care" type short story: When we had a house in Colorado, I came home from work and noticed an extension cord going from the house next to us, over the lawn and onto our front porch and plugged into OUR electric socket on the porch. A bank had taken over the house and had hired some workers to do some things in the house. I have no idea if there was electricity in the house, but definitely seen the extension cord plugged into the outlet on our porch. I immediately went to the house and told the people they couldn't do that that doing it was illegal. They didn't speak very good English, but I think they understood. I told them that I didn't want to call law enforcement, but if I had to I would. I unplugged the cord and drug it over to the other house.

IOW, these workers knew what they were doing and went ahead and plugged the cord into our outlet on our porch.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think there's some of both, but there are probably more people who just don't care anymore.

There is a traffic light in Bangor. There is a sign that says, "Left Turn on Arrow Only," yet I'd say more than half the people in line behind us will honk their horn at us when we wait for the arrow light. When the light turns green for traffic going straight, someone behind us will usually honk the horn at us, and some have gone around us on the right.

The Bangor Police Department's Facebook page named this intersection as the place where they wrote the most traffic tickets, yet people will get irate when we wait for it. This is a little of both, perhaps. They don't know that they are supposed to wait for the left arrow, but they are also impatient a-holes who don't mind being rude to those who wait.

In Millinocket, I think it's fair to say that most people don't have air conditioning, or don't leave it on at night if they do, because we only have a couple of months of warm weather, and doesn't often get higher than the 80s, even in the summer. Plus, our electricity rates are high. Yet, teens, and sometimes people a little older than that, will frequently walk by at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning laughing and talking loudly, sometimes stopping in front of our house. These are people who just don't give a damn. Nor do their parents, apparently.

6. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I do believe there is some of the not thinking camp but I believe the majority just don't care. And they don't care about a million things but themselves. It makes me ill actually the way some people are. From driving crazy to throwing trash on the road to not doing their jobs right. There is just too much of it.

And yes those noisy people. No consideration.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

'Civilised society' .......... is this term obsolete yet ............ I think it will be
    Couldn't believe my eyes last night watching the news - an all out fight at the 'races' !!
    Horse racing was considered very civilised, never any trouble, but there they were, all done up in their finery
    men and women, having an all out brawl !
    I switched off pretty quick so no idea what it was about, neither do I care :(

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In many ways, both processes are synonymous. Not thinking can be likened to not caring especially when it relates to our reactions whilst in public.
    The simplest act of opening a door for another patron at a store might garner a Thank You but it isn’t rare that a person will pass through with no acknowledgement at all to the polite gesture.

It would seem that many are simply focused on “self” and are totally oblivious of anyone or anything that surrounds them.
    Observe the foot traffic in a parking lot if you will. Some will push their cart full of new purchases directly down the middle of the lane totally unaware that cars are backed up directly behind them. Instead of hugging the rear or fronts of the parked cars, the walker(s) will fill the center of the lane thus blocking traffic.

Not caring or not thinking? Perhaps both but most certainly very rude.

Thomas Stearn and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

From what I'm reading in this thread, to some extent, we don't think to highly of some (absolutely NOTE the word "some") of the younger generation. This definitely doesn't include all of the younger generation, but there are those that do this "non-caring" things that really annoys us Seniors. Probably annoys a certain amount of the "caring" younger generation, but they don't say anything...…..It's their generation and they hate "bad mouthing" their generation.

Then again, on the flip side of the coin, there are Seniors who drive extremely slow, and obviously dangerously, in fast-paced areas of the U.S.. They know how slow they are driving and "just don't care", because they simply don't want to speed like the rest of the drivers. They think they are "safer" drivers for doing this, but. However, they can be/ or are dangerous.

Ken Anderson and Thomas Stearn like this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - Seniors have their faults too - I live amongst them :rolleyes:
    Was well and truly shocked to find non caring attitudes amongst them, so for me, age is not relevant
    any age falls into the media trap it seems, any age will be a troll - any age will be ignorant and non caring
    So, lump them all together and there's too many of them - all ages !

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  11. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    As you are saying, it does not include all of the young generation although to some this might apply:

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:p

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not all young people are bad or act badly.I know of many adults who are worse.
    But does seem the majority of kids, teens, and young adults do not and are not trained in how to grow up a decent responsible adult.
    And we are raising a generation of Wussies. ....so you lost the relay race...get over it...try harder next time...you don't need a trophy so you can feel better.
    I have decided after a week of putting up with a hormonal female grand daughter
    that kids need miltary training at best boarding school...until they are at least 18!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh yea - might work !

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Very true. Although, with so many of the younger generation going to fitness centers and gyms, I don't really see the "chatter" coming in place of the exercise. However, they do love to text and talk on their cells, no matter where they are.