Now That The Stores Are Closed

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Audrey Claire, May 15, 2020.

1. Audrey Claire

Audrey Claire Well-Known Member
    Registered

Most of our stores here in Australia have been closed for a while now, grocery stores being the exception. Well I’ve always been frugal, but now I’m saving so much money! It’s magic!
    I go to the supermarket, get the groceries I need, scuttle home. Not much spent.
    Now here’s the thing - I spend ages shopping online, but I don’t spend a cent! It’s like endless window shopping from my sofa! Like walking round touching but not buying!
    I bought one thing! I bought a flannel shirt! It’s like pyjamas but more acceptable when I’m in my living room dancing to 80’s music and someone walks past the window.....hey, I’m Dressed, right??
    So, are you all resisting temptation, or has the delivery person been to your place just few more times lately?

Patsy Faye and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hee hee to above :p
    I'm the opposite, I need my fix of bargain clothing and the online store I like has had nothing new since Covid ! :eek:

Audrey Claire and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Even though it saves $45-$50 a week, I still miss going out to eat on Thursday evenings.

Hal

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Audrey Claire and Ken Anderson like this.
  4. Audrey Claire

Registered

Plenty of choice online here, particularly on eBay which I love to trawl....however I already have a closet full of clothes and wonder if I’ll get to wear them this year....my “going out” clothes aren’t going to get much of an airing..l

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Covid or not, I'm stuck indoors but - I still like to dress and feel pretty :cool:
    @Audrey Claire

Audrey Claire likes this.
  6. Audrey Claire

Registered

Good on you Patsy! I’m not sure pretty could ever be applied to me, but when I go out I scrub up ok.

Al Amoling and Patsy Faye like this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

When all this first started no one knew the rules exactly (still don't). What was closed and what was open? I ordered several things online that you could get in stock in stores. Still less than I would have bought otherwise. I usually go to a brick and mortar store looking for one thing and end up with more things I didn't think of.

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

As much as I dread guidelines set on how I live my life I have conceded to those of the COVID-19. With the exception of grocery shopping I had quit shopping until today when the flea market officially opened. There is just something about 'the hunt.' :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not the black-belt shopper that I used to be, so the closure of stores hasn't been much of a blip on my pond. I do buy a lot of things online but mostly out of boredom. (I have some totally useless items coming today from Amazon. :D)

@Von Jones did you go to the flea market? Were there lots of people, and more importantly... did you find any treasures?? :D

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes and my oldest son came along with me 6:30 in the morning. A good crowd and vendors with and without masks.

I wasn't really looking for treasures, I'm lying.:D I found a couple of things but my son was very happy with his finds. We carried away a nice propane grill for him that he wasn't sure about so he didn't ask how much. He was concerned with getting the propane and his children, two diagnosed autistic. I explained to him that he can just use it like a regular charcoal grill, boy, that took a lot of convincing and we didn't even know how much it was. :rolleyes:. So he haggled and paid $20 for it. It probably helped that I frequented the vendor too.;)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Audrey Claire

Registered

The rules here in Australia have been very clear - nothing has been open except for grocery supermarkets. Some stores have opened in the last week as we have a very low incidence of virus, but I’m not going near any shops for a few months yet.

Nancy Hart and Von Jones like this.
  12. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Some department stores like Harvey Norman,Target, JB Hi-Fi, and Office Works have been open during the lockdown to my knowledge @Audrey Claire. At least in Sydney they have. Not sure why as I dont see a television, a DVD player, a lawnmower or a desk as being an essential item. I dont recall any orders to limit the customer numbers in these stores either. I have a family member working in Woolies. The staff have not even been offered a mask so no chance of a bonus for working during the crisis and adding to Woolies massive profits. Coles is the same. Bloody greedy.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  13. Audrey Claire

Registered

It’s been pretty tight in Brisbane. The actual shopping malls were inactive except for the supermarkets. I did some online grocery buying early on but the high delivery fees made it not viable. Initially I could get free delivery from Coles if I accepted an open window delivery, that is, no set time. Bust they did away with that and put a $12 delivery fee on all deliveries. Woolworths delivery fee is $15 on all deliveries under $100. I don’t usually order that much and probably most pensioners don’t.