Obesity In America Getting Worse!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders
    If he has passed, how old was he, if you do not mind my asking? If you do, simply say "MYOB"!
    Frank

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Many, especially the really “health conscious” young and old, wouldn’t mind having ALL fast-food places closed down.

Not us, but we aren’t “that” health conscious.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

He died at 82 of Parkinson's disease... @Frank Sanoica

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Since my kids are dentists, sweets are a rare treat in their homes. They can't just sit and go through all their Halloween candy in one day. They get one after they ate their dinner.

Also, they never buy any type of soda or pop for at home. It's a treat they're allowed when they eat out.

They drink water, or OJ or skim milk at home. You'd think they'd be crazy for sweets but they're not...Ive seen Halloween candy being thrown out because it wasn't eaten.

They do eat at fast food places occasionally but it's not a major part of their diet.

They all are active in different sports also ...so although they do sit on their devices inside, outside they are busy busy with more than one outside school activity.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The way to raise kids!

However, when I lived with my “pretty strict” step-parents, there was no soda pop in the home and very little candy for Christmas, even though my dad did make taffy at home. My mom made great sugar cookies, but I basically had to steal one or two out of the cookie jar (being extremely quiet), when I got home from school or I wouldn’t get any. She made them for dad’s lunch, pretty much nothing else.
    Going to a fast-food place, no way!
    BTW, did I already say “they were strict”?

I grew to really resent this “strictness” and was very glad when I moved out.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My kids aren't strict parents but they're very responsible parents.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

For some kids, your kids would definitely be strict parents.
    My cousin’s parents were’t strict at all and I loved it when I could spend a weekend with them. Chips, soda and so on at their home.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Most all the parents are similar in their group of friends. It's not like they don't have pizza when friends are over, I'm just saying sugary soda pop is not in their house. Their friends are used to that.

There's always iced tea, Snapple and Gatorade also but that they take for after sports.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was raising my son, I never had soft drinks in the house, and certainly didn't keep bulk supplies of candies around. There were aways juices and fruit around, and he could help himself to that whenever he wanted. On the other hand, he wasn't prohibited from drinking soft drinks and I would buy him a one sometimes when we were traveling, or at a fair or something. He still had two strokes and a heart attack before he turned fifty.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think a lot of obesity is caused by eating fast food. I remember when Burger King first opened in our town. DH and I would eat a whopper for lunch several times a week. I gained five pounds in one month. I told him, "This ain't gonna work. I'll weigh three hundred pounds in a year or two." After that, we ate one maybe a couple of times a year. I still eat one a couple of times a year because, Man, those things are good!

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You've all made some good points. But right now, I've got to go pick up my order at Five Guys.

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter didn't taste chocolate, sweets (candy) or cake before she was old enough to start school...and I only let her then have some once a week because I didn't want to let her feel deprived while her classmates had some.

We had a burger at the Wimpey bar maybe twice a year..... to this day she barely eats chocolate or cake, she doesn't drink alcohol, nor fizzy drinks... ... . She's over 40 and has never weighed more than 110 pounds.... her teeth are perfect, and she's never had a filling...

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Shirley Martin

Registered

When I picked my kids up after school, I would take them to DH's store and they could have one snack and a Pepsi or Coke. I never kept snacks in the house and still don't. If I had them, I would eat them. Since I don't have them, I'm not tempted.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ha ha but there's nothing wrong with enjoying fast food once in awhile....even as perfect as I am....I'll have a burger about twice a year. :)

I may be due for one soon...

Sheldon Scott and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Registered

Hey,:D @Chrissy Cross , make that a Whopper. You 'bout as well go whole hog.

Chrissy Cross likes this.