Ok. I Want Some Happy Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Mary Miller, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I thought it would be fun to post what was one of our best memories. No weddings or children's births.

I was thinking back to riding my Tennessee Walker out in a field that was covered in dandelions on a sunny day. It was a huge carpet of gold and we were just gliding along. Then about a week later all the flowers had gone to seed--large white puff balls everywhere. As we rode along kicking the puffballs as we went. As we turned around to go home it was like riding through a snow globe.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to do a ton of bike riding. I would commute to work on my bike, and go on weekend rides with the local club.

I once did a 3 day bicycling weekend through Amish country in Pennsylvania. The local college did not have summer classes so we stayed in their dormitories. You could place a lunch order for the next day so as to find a convenient place to stop and eat as you were out and about.

Absolutely beautiful country. And biking is such an intimate way to experience the countryside.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Mary Miller -- your memory sparked one of my own. My dad had a Tennessee Walking Horse; her name was "Sugar." :D

4. John Brunner

I remember being 5 or 6 years old in Indiana and walking out the back door one snowy morning on my way to school. I guess my mother had thrown some bread or seed out for the birds, because there was a mass of little feetprint all over the place. I went inside, got a cookie sheet, slid it underneath, and carried them in for Show & Tell. I don't know why they caught my attention like that.

5. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

During the last years of the depression, we kids didn't have all the fancy shmancy jazz, these kids today have. Living in the city. there were pocket parks in every neighborhood and ours was small indeed. One of the greatest things to do was pretend we were pioneers and we'd dig a hole, fill it with rocks, twigs, leaves, etc and build a fire. Then we'd all go home, grab a potato and throw it into that fire. We'd poke it with sticks to test doneness and finally one of the boys would cut ours open with a pocket knife and when cool enough to handle would eat them up. They were the best potatoes we'd ever eaten and the stories that went with them were great. Many of the kids were 1st generation Irish and you can imagine the tales of the potato famine. My Irish relatives were so adventuresome, we began landing here in the mid 1600s so my stories were nil. Life was never so simple or satisfying as those times.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

As a child I can't think of anything good enough to post.
    But when my hubby proposed to me 30 years ago on the dance floor where we meet..that was good.
    Unknown to me my family and our all friends were there- unseen by me with it being dark. Mark had layed out the outfit he bought for me and a note where to meet him later that night.
    @Cody Fousnaugh ...;)he was decked out in his hat and boots- and the outfit he bought me was western styled in denim.Once he proposed family and friends came out of all corners on to the dance floor. Mark had the band to play Ball and Chain...it awesome:p

7. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

And you sparked my memory that my mom's maiden name was Gallagher and so it was my sister's horse.:)

Terry Coywin and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Road trip across Canada / United States in a brand new Corvette fresh out of the factory

9. John Brunner

They did a TV show built around that:
    [​IMG]

I can't imagine how much fun that would have been...bet you had to pack light, huh?

Terry Coywin likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I was a bicycle rider and rode in a number of bike rides around the country. I rode the Hotter Than Hell
    Hundred inWichita thee times. They have a one hundred mile ride, fifty mile ride, a twenty-five mile
    and a ten miler. It was in August and hotter than hell, thus its name. I only rode the twenty-five mile ride.
    It was often in the high nineties but one year it was over hundred degrees. In Lubbock one year I often rode
    seventy miles a week. I never had a good light weight bike but It was fun and looking back, one of the happiest
    times I remember.