Old School Way

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Von Jones, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always known and been a person of support. If I can find myself useful with my knowledge and skills when someone needs help I do my best. Recently I have been assisting my sister who is quite short on funds with a project which requires office support, basically, printing copying, etc. which can be costly to have done outside of the home.

Seeing that I my home office setup is pretty basic I had to result in using the 'old school' way to get the job done. First I scanned 40 pages and saved all of them in order in a folder. She wanted 12 copies printed two-sided. I thought '12?' That's when I remembered when I held positions as office clerk, receptionist, secretary back in the day and how projects like this were completed before today's technology entered the picture. It took me a minute but through trial and error I got it done the 'old school' way.

Have any of you found yourself reaching back to doing a task the 'old school' way?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always done things the 'old way'
    I can't now so much, depends what it is

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

"Old School" ways, just wouldn't get it for me when I worked in Purchasing and Inventory Management. The "Old School" was typing out purchase orders on an electric typewriter and keeping inventory on 3 x 5 cards. I started using a computer in 1989 in both Purchasing and Inventory and absolutely love it. Of course, I'm a "computer person" and know the keyboard real well.

In many jobs today, if a person isn't very good on a computer, that person may definitely not get hired for the position. Many companies actually give a typing test, as well as a data entry test, before they offer a person employment.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

You are so right about the job market since the advancement of office equipment, no doubt about the hiring process too. I remember when I did bookkeeping manually that detailed process was just hankering for automation boy was I glad when it came.