Omega 3's Vs Omega 6's, Know The Difference

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Most don't and are loaded with Omega 6's . Here is Mercola recent addition on these 2 oils.

The Wrong fats can wreck your body.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...cid=20221218_HL2&cid=DM1308797&bid=1672249885.

STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    • Omega-6 linoleic acid (LA) is the most common fat in the American diet. Most people get 25 times more LA than they need. At most, you need about 2 grams a day, but the average American gets about 50 grams a day, thanks to the fact that most processed foods and condiments are loaded with omega-6 seed oils

• LA gets incorporated into your cell membranes where it causes inflammation. Its half-life is nearly two years, so ridding your body of stored LA completely can take up to seven years

• Eliminating LA is a marathon, not a sprint. Ineffective and potentially harmful ways of eliminating LA include extended fasting and overtaxing your body with strenuous endurance exercise

• To stop the accumulation of LA in your cells, eliminate seed oils from your diet. Cook with beef tallow, butter, ghee or coconut oil, and avoid all processed foods, restaurant foods, condiments, and animals raised on grains, such as chicken and pork

• Vitamin E, in a dose of about 2 IU - 3 IU for every gram of PUFA (not just linoleate) consumed daily may also be able to provide some protection against the inflammatory and endocrine (estrogenic, pro-cortisol) effects of linoleate and PUFA in general

• To safely encourage the elimination of LA from your body, focus on building muscle and maximizing lean muscle mass with concentric exercise, and eat a balanced diet with a ratio of 2-to-1 healthy carbs to protein

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was just reading this morning that Kerrygold butter, long praised for being one of the most pure and healthy butters, is now also offering what they call a sift spread butter which is made with canola oil (rapeseed oil), which is one of the bad seed oils, although not the worst one. However, since it is the one most likely to be added to foods and used for cooking, that makes it worse because we get so much more of that in foods than some of the other seed oils which are actually more toxic.

Here is a list of oils, showing which are safest and which are the highest in LA, and need to be avoided as much as possible. (This list was put out by a company that makes Zero Acres oil)

IMG_6941.jpeg

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

This is such a confusing subject. I had been eating chocolate covered almonds for years because I read they are a "heart-healthy snack," then the Omega-6 Scare started.

This article on WebMD says the scare over Omega-6 causing inflammation is overblown:

Researchers have questioned whether high omega-6 intake can be too much of a good thing. Studies show our bodies convert linolenic acid (LA) — the most common form of omega-6 — into a compound that can promote inflammation and blood vessel tightening.

But recent research indicates this effect is minimal, more likely associated with a diet low in omega-3s — the other group of essential fatty acids we get from foods like fish. Most of us get 14 to 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3s.

That doesn’t mean you must cut back on omega-6s, but balancing them better with omega-3s brings the best health benefits.

WebMD 8 Healthy Foods High in Omega-6
    Safflower oil
    Walnuts
    Sunflower seeds
    Canola oil (contains a favorable 2:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids)
    Tofu
    Eggs
    Mayonnaise
    Almonds

Sticking with WebMD, here is their article on Omega-3 so you can get a balance of these fats:

Omega-3 fatty acids are “good fats” your body needs to function. These fatty acids come in three forms. Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) is found mainly in plant oils, while seafood is the best source of eicosapentaenoic (EPA) and docosahexaenoic (DHA) acids. Your body absorbs EPA and DHA more easily than the plant-based ALA.

ALA is an essential fatty acid, meaning you need to get it from your diet. Your body can convert ALA into small amounts of DHA and EPA. But getting more from food or supplements helps support many of your body's processes.

WebMD 8 Healthy Foods High in Omega-3
    Flaxseed oil
    Canola oil
    Chia seeds
    Salmon
    Foraging fish (herring [kippers] and sardines)
    Shellfish (oysters, lobster, scallops)
    Walnuts
    Soybeans

This stuff gets confusing. It seems that every time you find something good for you/bad for you, another article comes out saying that it is actually bad for you/good for you.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Joy Martin

Registered

Very confusing, I've read that Olive Oil is Safest and I've been using it for a long time

On the GrapeSeed Oil, I don't use it but have been using the Extract for about 30 yrs and my health is tip top...... Outside the hip replacement MESS...

I use Coconut Oil a lot but never checked the Omega 6's....I have read so much GOOD from CO...

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Joy Martin

Registered

Oh this is interesting:

Coconut oil has some omega-6 but no omega-3 fatty acids. Sources of omega-3 include fatty fish, flaxseeds, and walnuts. Therefore, it is important to not rely on coconut oil as a sole fat source, as it is missing essential fatty acids our body needs.Jan 12, 2024

6. Joy Martin

Registered

On CO

Coconut oil has some omega-6 but no omega-3 fatty acids. Sources of omega-3 include fatty fish, flaxseeds, and walnuts. Therefore, it is important to not rely on coconut oil as a sole fat source, as it is missing essential fatty acids our body needs.Jan 12, 2024

I' ve read for years Olive Oil is Best, so I need to work with it more andmore, as pricey as it's gotten
    and I won't buy into Costco for olive oil prices.......

Dr. Mary Newport wrote a book on CO and care for her husband who had Dementia....it gave him more yrs.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

But again, the case for Omega-6 inflammation seems to have been overstated. Regarding olive oil, it has both linoleic acid AND oleic acid. And don't forget you meed Omega-9 as well.

Don Alaska likes this.