On This Date, 55 Years Ago

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Something rang a bell this morning.........Sept. 23, 1963, I started work at the most formidably enjoyable job I would ever have. Development Technician, Gasket Laboratory. I had graduated from DeVry Technical Institute the previous May, worked 3 days at Motorola adjusting color TV picture tubes, and nothing else since. My Dad had seen Victor's ad in the Sunday paper and purposefully suggested I call them. I had just turned 21 years old. If anyone would like, I'll tell more details about my new job! These memories are incredible to me. Frank

[​IMG]

Thomas Stearn and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Boy, you sure looked like a Nerd. You look much better in your avatar. ;) Tell us more details.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I guess I must like nerds, @Shirley Martin ........ I was thinking how gentlemanly Frank looks in that picture. Very intelligent and studious, too.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

He is kinda cute in a Nerdish kind of way. ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank was a Team Player......

[​IMG]

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    Pleased to do so! My interviewer was to become my boss, Dan Czernik, Senior Development Engineer. He headed up the research in the lab. During the interview he took me back to the lab, showed me it's operation: a large, walled-off room having 3 dynamometer test stands with engines running! Some BIG engines. Then he showed me what I would be expected to do, successfully: mount strain gauges on engine cylinder head bolts. Asked me, "Think you can do it"?

Why, what he needed was a piece of cake! I told him almost that; then he revealed he, 2 other Engineers, and several others had attempted soldering lead wires on strain gauges and failed! Victor wanted to be among the first in the field to actually "look at" head bolt loading while a big diesel engine is running.

Below is a gauge installation, not quite like what I had to contend with, but close enough. I was hired, at $111 per week! My first hook-up worked!
    • [​IMG]
    Here's one of the engines which I instrumented in the lab: an experimental Caterpillar Double Overhead Cam Diesel being touted as the future power plant for heavy semi-trucks. It's about 5 feet high!
    [​IMG]

7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

How did you managed to do what the others had failed, Frank? What had they done wrong? And what made you take a photo of your work at that time?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Thomas Stearn
    I had had much experience previously soldering tiny connections. I built an oscilloscope myself while in high school, similar circuitry to a television set. I also had very steady hands. The Engineers lacked that practical hands-on experience necessary to do such delicate work. The photo of a strain gauge installation is not of my work, merely an illustration.
    Frank

Thomas Stearn likes this.