Online Scams

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive let my bank know I’d be in Florida once because I’ve heard it happen to others...so sometimes I’ll tell the bank I’m going somewhere that’s not my usual.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, but it was us, no "fraud". We were traveling in the motorhome and using a gas card for gasoline fillups all across the country. (We both retired from a major oil company and that card gets a substantial discount on petroleum products.) It was quite annoying, actually.

Chrissy Cross and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife received a phone call that she hit Mega Millions contest for four and a half million dollars plus a jaguar of your choice of color. She told them she knows it's a phony and hung up. They said she entered a contest within the last five years in one of the stores she shop, of course she didn't remember.
    He called her back immediately so my wife play the along and told him she's not going to answer any of his questions.
    He kept trying to convince her this was legit that they pull up with a truck with the car, and the check for four and a half million dollars. He saw he was getting nowhere with her so he asked to speak to the husband, I acted like I knew nothing of the conversation and he went through it again I said the whole thing was a phony do not call back again I hung up.
    I Googled it and of course to come up that there's a group going around using the Mega Million game and trying to get money out of people by telling them they won money
    Be careful.

4. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

did you wonder how they got the number?...

Tony Page likes this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Not only our number, my wife's name, and my email address???

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a friend who got scammed and had her car stolen. ("You've won a new car, we take care of your old one and we'll bring the new one right over.") It shook her so much, she sold her house and went into assisted living for fear of her exposure being on her own. (Can we pretty please bring back public hangings?)

The story ended well, since she has been very happy where she lives. But still...

Regarding your story, @Tony Page...I thought Mega Millions was a lottery ticket. There ain't no way they have the name (much less phone number) of who bought a given ticket. It seems they leverage the well-known lottery game name, then ask for money to cover the taxes or some such garbage. The calls originate from overseas with spoofed phone numbers to look like they originate in the states.

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.
  7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

You're right Mega Millions is a lotto however they claimed either my wife or I filled out a form and took a chance in a store for a game called Mega Millions within the last 5 years. Some additional info my wife asked where they were located -Las Vegas Nevada, then he gave her street address that was just numbers, his name was Peter Washington, he had an island accent like Jamaica or Haiti. They were going to bring balloons flowers a suitcase with $250,000 a van with a Jaguar inside.
    We had him on the phone for about 15 minutes, we were having fun playing along.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  8. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

buggy problem.....selling our info...we'd ordered online from Lowe's..
    contractor called to set up time to install our floor...
    we'd bought no flooring..ha!

Tony Page likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been getting insane amounts of emails offering all sorts of prizes and cash. This after warnings my accounts had been hacked. I always check the address it is coming from. Say, the offer is from walmart but the addy says freddytoolittle@boozeville.com
    I don't unsubscribe as I don't want them to know they hit a live one. I file under blocked domain.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just got this email:

W͏e͏ h͏a͏v͏e͏ t͏e͏m͏p͏o͏r͏a͏r͏i͏l͏y͏ p͏l͏a͏c͏e͏d͏ y͏o͏u͏r͏ A͏m͏a͏z͏o͏n͏ a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t͏ o͏n͏ h͏o͏l͏d͏ a͏n͏d͏ c͏a͏n͏c͏e͏l͏e͏d͏ a͏n͏y͏ p͏e͏n͏d͏i͏n͏g͏ o͏r͏d͏e͏r͏s͏ o͏r͏ s͏u͏b͏s͏c͏r͏i͏p͏t͏i͏o͏n͏s͏ b͏e͏c͏a͏u͏s͏e͏ w͏e͏ d͏e͏t͏e͏c͏t͏e͏d͏ u͏n͏u͏s͏u͏a͏l͏ a͏c͏t͏i͏v͏i͏t͏y͏ o͏n͏ i͏t͏.

T͏o͏ r͏e͏s͏t͏o͏r͏e͏ y͏o͏u͏r͏ a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t͏, y͏o͏u͏ c͏a͏n͏ c͏l͏i͏c͏k͏ t͏h͏e͏ b͏u͏t͏t͏o͏n͏ b͏e͏l͏o͏w͏ a͏n͏d͏ f͏o͏l͏l͏o͏w͏ o͏n͏-s͏c͏r͏e͏e͏n͏ i͏n͏s͏t͏r͏u͏c͏t͏i͏o͏n͏s͏. O͏n͏c͏e͏ y͏o͏u͏ h͏a͏v͏e͏ p͏r͏o͏v͏i͏d͏e͏d͏ t͏h͏e͏ r͏e͏q͏u͏i͏r͏e͏d͏ i͏n͏f͏o͏r͏m͏a͏t͏i͏o͏n͏, w͏e͏ w͏i͏l͏l͏ r͏e͏v͏i͏e͏w͏ i͏t͏ a͏n͏d͏ r͏e͏s͏p͏o͏n͏d͏ w͏i͏t͏h͏i͏n͏ 2͏4͏ h͏o͏u͏r͏s͏.

Y͏o͏u͏ c͏a͏n͏n͏o͏t͏ a͏c͏c͏e͏s͏s͏ y͏o͏u͏r͏ a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t͏ u͏n͏t͏i͏l͏ t͏h͏i͏s͏ p͏r͏o͏c͏e͏s͏s͏ i͏s͏ c͏o͏m͏p͏l͏e͏t͏e͏. I͏f͏ y͏o͏u͏ d͏o͏n͏'t͏ c͏o͏m͏p͏l͏e͏t͏e͏ a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t͏ r͏e͏c͏o͏v͏e͏r͏y͏ w͏i͏t͏h͏i͏n͏ 3͏ d͏a͏y͏s͏, w͏e͏ w͏i͏l͏l͏ l͏o͏c͏k͏ y͏o͏u͏r͏ A͏m͏a͏z͏o͏n͏ a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t͏ p͏e͏r͏m͏a͏n͏e͏n͏t͏l͏y͏.

W͏e͏ a͏r͏e͏ s͏o͏r͏r͏y͏ f͏o͏r͏ a͏n͏y͏ i͏n͏c͏o͏n͏v͏e͏n͏i͏e͏n͏c͏e͏ t͏h͏i͏s͏ m͏a͏y͏ h͏a͏v͏e͏ c͏a͏u͏s͏e͏d͏.
    T͏h͏a͏n͏k͏ y͏o͏u͏ f͏o͏r͏ y͏o͏u͏r͏ a͏t͏t͏e͏n͏t͏i͏o͏n͏.

[​IMG]

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I recently received a scam text message.
    It was telling me that my Amazon account was under threat of being hacked and I must use the link supplied to report it.
    But I don't have an Amazon account so clearly it was someone trying their luck.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This has been going on everywhere. I've seen these scammers get aggressive & walk into traffic, blocking cars. Last week, I almost ran one down when she suddenly appeared between parked cars & I barely stopped in time. Look what happens when they're confronted: