Orange Juice: Pulp Or No Pulp?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, May 4, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For one thing, I don't know why our local grocery store feels the need to have about forty different brands and sub-brands of orange juice, but their orange juice display takes up a fairly large space. In all this, however, there is only one choice that includes pulp.

Why do those who don't want any pulp need to have so many choices, while those who want pulp have only one? Or are there so many people who don't want pulp that the orange juice bottlers aren't making orange juice with pulp anymore?

Bill Boggs likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I like it either way. I haven't noticed how many choices because I only see a couple in the frozen juice section.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I make my own in the blender with fresh oranges, and I like the pulp. I peel just the outside of the rind off and leave the whiteish coating of bioflavonoids on the orange , cut it into quarters and put it in the Vitamix.
    Sometimes, I do the same thing with a lemon and add that to the orange juice, or I add pineapple if I have that and make orange pineapple juice.
    Maybe juice is not the right word for it by then, because I don’t use a juicer, just fruit and some water.

4. Ken Anderson

When I lived in Texas and has a couple of my own orange trees, I would do that, and it was much better than anything I could buy in the store. Here in Maine, though, while oranges are available year round, so many of them look good but have little juice and little taste, and are expensive regardless, so I buy what is supposed to be fresh juice instead. I much prefer it with pulp.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I like pulp, the more, the better but harder to find

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't drink orange juice anymore because it is to acidic for my digestive system. When I could drink it though I like the pulp in it to...and if I could still drink it and I couldn't find one with pulp...I'd just add my own with a few real oranges "pulperized" and added to the juice from the store. :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't drink any juices but on the rare occasion I have, I prefer no pulp. I also water it down.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We buy the OJ with 50% Less Sugar and No Pulp. Wife will have a small glass once in awhile, but I'm the primary drinker of it. Lately we've been buying oranges that look like steroids were injected into them.........that big! Will cut them up into large slices and eat. Friday night we ate two of them. We both absolutely love eating the real oranges.

Thing is, the OJ in the bottle we buy has only 5 grams of sugar in it for a 4oz glass (the 50% Less Sugar one), while a real orange has 9 grams of sugar in it. So, of course the Diabetic Assoc. would recommend the bottle of OJ more than the real orange. However, a real orange does taste much better though.

9. Ken Anderson

I don't know anything about varieties of orange trees but, for a few years, I owned a house in Los Fresnos, Texas that had two orange trees. One, in the side yard, near the front of the house grew beautiful oranges, and they tasted pretty good, but they didn't taste nearly as good as those from the tree in the back yard. That tree bore fruit that was smaller, and rarely solidly orange in color. There were always some blotches of a darker color in the peel. However, these oranges were very good to eat and to juice.

It kind of surprised me to find that most people seem to prefer orange juice without pulp, since I have always considered it to be much better with pulp, but I suppose that's why the stores have so few options for those of us who want pulp.

When I made my own orange juice, most of the orange ended up in the glass. so I always prefer orange juice with pulp.

10. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I like mine with a high percentage of Palp.*

*(Alternative spelling of Pulp.)

Hal

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Pulp!! Bring on the pulp!

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member