Osteoporosis / Osteoarthritis

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Micki Pembroke, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought i remember seeing on a post, Holly, you mentioned OA. Would this be the issue with your knee/joint. Maybe the whole world already knows about this, but i thought i'd mention it. Glucosamine Sulfate was recommended to me by my doctor and surgeon. Takes a good 2 months before you may feel ease in your joint, it's to reduce inflammation which causes the great amount of pain. If for some reason a person stops taking it, and returns to it, it again takes that time to take effect. Was told if a person was allergic to shellfish, this, the GS was not an option. I've been taking it for almost 6 years, i do feel it's made a difference for me. It doesn't reverse the damage, but may prolong the worst in the future. It's also very cheap. These conditions seems to be very much on the rise, even with men. Joint replacements may still have to be done, in time. These conditions have a very different degeneration as other arthritis, and very different bone mass break down. I hope this little bit of info, is of interest.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tried it a long time ago Micki.. it reacted in a big negative way with my Hiatus Hernia..OMG!! nightmare, I remember the pain very clearly causing the worst heartburn ever, so I had to stop very quickly...

My OA is in my hands .. not in my knee..the knee is wear and tear and a displaced kneecap..but not actual OA>. ..bt thank you very much for thinking of me that's extremely kind of you.. sadly in this instance these OTC supplements are no use to me at all..:(

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  3. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders Sorry it didn't work for you, guess i'm one of the lucky ones. So sorry you're going through all this pain, must be tremendously hard, i really hope you're able to find something to help. i really feel for you. Good night.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

My friend who passed at 95 said Glucosamine kept her walking and boy she kept walking blocks at her end ... I've committed to taking Cosamin DS daily and keep walking but my knee is all worse from hip replacement mess in 2010, long ugly story.....no more surgeries if I do anything about it. I take other things too and believe the HGH homeopathic gel is helping my knee too.

And I make sure I take my magnesium 500mg or more for strong bones...I take no calcium but get my D3/K2 daily and get calcium from veggies.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Micki Pembroke likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I just bought, online, a pack of 15 CBD pads for the arthritis pain I get in my left shoulder. Each pad has 30 mg of CBD, while one that I bought here where we live, only contained 10mg. The 10mg didn't do very much for my pain and, before I knew it, I was taking an 800mg VA medical prescription of ibuprofen. Hopefully one of the new pads will last much longer. For 15 of these pads, it was $115. Be well worth the money if I can take less ibuprofen!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Audrey Claire

Audrey Claire Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have been taking glucosamine for nearly twenty years now for osteoarthritis in my hips. It’s been amazing, no more pain, and my cartilage has repaired itself. I have a hiatus hernia and some reflux, but the glucosamine has never affected this. It’s important to take it in the morning with food. I was diagnosed at 55 and told I’d need a hip replacement by the age of 60; I’m now nearly 69 and I can walk all day, run if I want to, and carry a backpack. It’s important to keep moving and keep your weight down too.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a very old cat, and Glucosamine worked well for her, so I can see no reason to think it wouldn't work.

Audrey Claire likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is an interesting article about the correlation between milk and calcium loss in the bones, which causes osteoporosis. So many people think that they need milk to get calcium, not thinking that calcium is actually a mineral and comes from the ground, which is where the cows get it in the first place.

502914D3-873E-426C-A1B9-4119CE43E22D.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.