Our Friends In Indiana

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

In 1978 I returned to Dana Corporation in Churubusco, IN as Facilities Engineer. I had quit there in 1972, sick of traveling from our home west of Chicago back and forth to Eastern IN. My early work there involved design and construction of a revolutionary automated oil seal molding machine with my co-worker, Bruce. While away, by 1976, I had managed to: get divorced, and completed my Bachelor of Science, Engineering, University of Nevada.
    The Dana hierarchy was situated well away from little Churubusco, plant had 350 employees, and the Plant Manager had worked and weaseled his way up from Chicago; he was universally hated by both rank & file as well as Management Employees. I was therefore unofficially hired by the Division Vice President in Chicago. The entire company knew of the device Bruce and I had built over the course of 3 years, which produced oil seals at a cost under 2 cents each, compared to traditional production at over 10 cents. Several years of long hours produced the machine which "opened the doors":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the day of my return to that plant in 1978, several employees were "feeding" our machine; two were young women who seemed to know one another. One was a bit older than the other, both friendly and outgoing (as most of the plant's young women were, knowing I was the new hire second under the Plant Mgr!). One was the "Vonda" I have written about frequently; she still lives in IN with her husband Gary. Below is the other girl, Debbie, this taken about that same time frame. We were married in 1979, and have been so 50 years now.

[​IMG]

Last week, Vonda informed us recent tests revealed she has a lump in one lung. Not diagnosed yet, we fear the worst, but have said but little. Gary recently had hip surgery, has taken several nasty falls; Vonda cares for him. Vonda smoked for many years, and has emphysema, things which work against successful elimination of a lung malignancy.

We just don't know what to say, to encourage her. Most friendly concerns are well worn-out, IMO. She claims to not be overly concerned, but overtly, we know, just as I know about my kidney condition: it's going to kill me eventually.

Frank

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank, so sorry for you and your friends.The only thing you can do is to let them know you are there for them if they need to talk.
    We all will leave this life at some point, no matter what we do or don't do.
    My father was still greiving at the loss of my mother months after she was gone. A nurse turned to him and said ..
    Mr......there worst things in this world than dying.At first that irritated me, but the more I thought about it, the more I understood what she meant.
    Not comforting to hear I know- but oh so true.
    Try not to worry.

Frank Sanoica likes this.