Our Little Visitor

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife caught this little guy looking in through our screen door, as though wondering why she was late putting out the grub! After eating, he decided to take it easy, 2nd. pic. It was 110+ degrees outside that screen door, but through it was blowing 74-degree air, nice and cool, delivered by our swamp cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These animals have survived in this thankless desert environment before folks were around to feed them. Chipmunks are omniverous, eating plant or animal materials. There are lots of Gambrel Quail, which get birdseed, the munks love it, darting in amongst a bunch of birds fearlessly, picking up cheeks-ful, then darting out ten feet or so. One day just inside the garage, which is also cooled by a swamp cooler, I found a pile of cracked-open black seeds which only the munk could have brought in there, and consumed!
    Frank

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Smashing !!

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

WoW!!! are they classed as Vermin, Frank?

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't see too many chipmunks here but did growing up in Pittsburgh..we used to catch them...they were our pets for a day.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica Do you have a swampbox? The onlly A/C I ever had was a swampbox until I moved to Oklahoma. All I needed in the dry air.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bill Boggs
    Yes. Uses only water and a fan.
    Frank

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    That, I do not know. They are cute, playful little creatures, but folks either love them, or hate them, the latter when they find their way into the walls of a home! Squirrels will also do that. We heard them burrwing about in the walls of our farmhouse in Missouri, but could never find where they were getting in. Thought about poison, then realized rotting remains in the walls might be worse!
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Fortunately our homes are made of solid brick so the squirrels here can't eat their way in...

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think they dig down under the foundation and emerge under the house. I know that in some parts of the country they are a real problem. But they are cute. I wonder why they have never become pets like hamsters, etc.?

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No, Chipmunks are not vermin but were classified as rock stars a number of years ago. Alvin, the main character, was quite the ladies chip I am told. Lately they have been on the down hill slope after Theodore was caught getting stoned by smoking ground acorns.
    As a last ditch effort they tried out for an advertising part for the KIA car company and were beaten out by a little known group of hamsters.

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Happy to say everyone enjoyed the little guy. I have never before gotten 8 "likes" for a post before! It's humbling for a not-so-humble old man!
    Frank

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

LOL..I'm fully au fait with Alvin and the chipmunks....although here we have had to endure the meerkats for Insurance commercials.. cute at first, but not so much after years...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had to look up the meerkat commercial and see what you were talking about, @Holly Saunders . Over here, it is mostly the little lizard commercials for Geico which feature the gecko. After watching the meerkat commercial, I think that I do like the lizard ones better.

For the rest of us here in the US who have not seen the meerkat commercial, here is what one of them looks like.

And here is one of our Geico commercials just for you, Holly, in case you don’t get to see these in the UK.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Ooops meant to put a link to the meerkats @Yvonne Smith , sorry, thanks for doing that. I don't watch commercials now, the meerkats were ones that pushed me over the edge to record everything I watch..they were fun at first but after years of them at almost every ad break they drove me up the wall

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

That was funny right thare :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.