Our Washtub

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

In the basement of the house I grew up in, old brick bungalow typical of Chicago-area, stood a washtub. I can recall my Mother running clothes through a powered wringer, the water dribbling into the washtub over which the wringer arm was swung.

That tub withstood the test of time, beyond any doubt. It had all sorts of detritus disposed of down it's drain over the years. The house was built in 1923, it's washtub undoubtedly "original equipment". Here is what it looked like:

[​IMG]

Supported on a metal stand, it was made of concrete! Weighed perhaps several hundred pounds, immovable, indestructible. It remained with the house when I left at age 30. Anyone ever see one like it? I would guess that virtually every old bungalow in our town of Berwyn had one, and there were some thousands of those homes.
    Frank

Julia Curtis and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting Frank, no, never seen one of those
    A tin bath was used over here for washing clothes and everyone else ! :p

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems that my grandma had one...but she used for cleaning fish.
    I do remember the round metal wash tubs my brother and I would play in during the summer. Our little swimming hole.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Cncrete??? WoW!! No i've never seen one like that. I've seen a similar style which was used here way back in the 1800's in Big country houses but they were metal lined with lead... I have a picture somewhere...

Frank Sanoica likes this.