Parents Paying More Attention To Their Cell Phone Than The Kid

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kitty Carmel, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I just saw this at my apartment complex. A woman was in her car clearly looking at her cell phone. I looked because her car kept making that sound when it's idle and the AC is on. That was ridiculous in the first place, she was in total shade and it's not that hot.

She must have been waiting for someone because she got a kid out of the back seat of the car finally and went into a townhouse across from me. All the while, carrying the infant and still staring at the cell phone

I have read this could become a problem because parents are not talking to and engaging their kids. Which could hinder development. But I guess kids have endured all kids of stuff through the ages. This is the next wave.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh don't get me started, I could go on about this subject for hours!! ...I get very angry about the whole subject!!

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Holly has spoken my words - see it 'all' the time, my heart aches for the kiddies :(

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

But yet while their kid is standing up in the grocery cart with a sharpie pen hes trying to open...momma is inches away staring at her phone and a blink or two at the diary section. Smh...put tha damn phone down!

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, I think (my opinion) that a parent who has the type of job that keeps them away from home a lot can definitely be worse. There are OTR truck drivers, salesmen that travel a lot, lawyers that spent numerous hours in the office doing a case and other careers that keep a parent away from home/families a lot. The men and women who work the 9-5 jobs can be home with the family for supper and on weekends.

Cell phones and young parents are just the way it is. Don't ask them if they pay more attention to their cell phones than their kids. Most likely, us "old folks" would get a mouth full of comments from them. Shoot, just how many young kids today are on cell phones instead of talking with their parents. The problem goes both ways.

Today is today and yesteryears was yesteryears.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Also, I have my shopping list on my iPhone so look at my phone while shopping, maybe that's what they do too.

And you don't know if the parent just spent all morning playing with her child or not so I don't judge unless I know the whole story.

7. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Chrissy Cross this could be true. But I have to wonder. I see it too much.

@Cody Fousnaugh an absent parent is something I know about. Dead beat dad. I won't get into that. But when I was young, around 5, my mother was hospitalized for a length of time. Many years later I found out why. But myself and my brother went to live with different people and the truth is, it had no ill effect on me. My mother's rages and being screamed at for days were much more damaging to me. Kids can know they are loved even if the parent isn't there. Consider military kids. I don't think they are all turning out a mess. Parent at home is not always a comfort to the kid.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

My opinion is, it doesn't work 'both' ways Cody
    These children I see are far too young to have mobile phones. The Mothers are oblivious to the fact the child is trailing behind them
    And, what example are they setting for these young children - to ignore those around you it seems !

Kitty Carmel and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I agree with you. The parents control the phone. It's up to them when they use it. The parent could take the phone away and give it to them to go to school etc. I know cell phones can save lives and in this day and age. But when it's used is up to the parent, at least when the kid is around the parent. They are the ones paying for it.

Just like TV. I know my parents regulated it. Which did no good. I always have the TV on now.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And, then there is, believe it or not, those parents (single or couple) who didn't really want children in the first place. Those pay much less attention than those that really wanted, and have kids.

The Karen Carpenter story can be a perfect example of not saying "I love you" to the kids. The parents told a Therapist, "Karen knows we love her, we don't have to tell her." Finally, the night that Karen died, her mom said, "Karen I love you". Too late then.

There are parents (couples) out there that that can't even pay attention to each other, let alone their kids.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My step-parents were very strict with me and I couldn't wait until I graduated and moved out.
    Being too strict with kids can lead to difficulties also.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

There are and were bad parents before iPhones and iPads..

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thank you, Chrissy! Very true.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Don't get this at all, why 'defend' the obvious
    People are looking at their phones - fact ! They are putting themselves in danger, crossing the road - fact !
    They are not observant of their own safety, let alone their children !
    Why the obsession ? Its the same with drivers using their bloomin phones ! Idiots !!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It's just simply the way it is today. Perhaps you don't, but a majority of today's population uses their cell phones everywhere.
    We use ours in our vehicle and we don't consider ourselves "idiots" at all. We don't use it that much, but do occasionally.

Like it or not, cell phones are just a part of everyday life now, just like computers.