Parishioner Who Gunned Down Texas Church Shooter Says He's No Hero

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Beth Gallagher, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow. https://www.yahoo.com/gma/parishion...-says-hes-192700170--abc-news-topstories.html

The pistol-packing parishioner captured on livestream gunning down a man who opened fire inside a Texas church on Sunday morning, killing two members of the congregation, says he doesn't consider himself a hero.

Jack Wilson, a 71-year-old former reserve deputy sheriff, took out the shotgun-wielding suspect with a single shot to the head during services at the West Freeway Church of Christ in the Fort Worth suburb of White Settlement, police and witnesses said.

"I don't see myself as a hero," Wilson told reporters on Monday. "I see myself as doing what needed to be done to take out the evil threat."

Not only is Wilson a former law enforcement officer, he also provides firearms training to members of the church who volunteer to help with security of the sanctuary, he said. He also has his own gun range.

Wilson was standing at the rear of the church during communion when the suspect, who witnesses said was wearing a fake beard and sunglasses, stood up just before 11 a.m. and confronted a church official. A livestream of the service showed the gunman suddenly pull out a short-barreled shotgun from under a long coat and shoot two parishioners before Wilson killed him.

2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

And THAT is how we will stop random gun violence!! :)

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The shooter picked the wrong state.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

According to the report, three more in the congregation pulled out their guns, too. By that time, Mr. Wilson had taken the shooter down.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I watched the video and he wasted no time taking action, hitting him from across the room with one shot.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here's the live stream video. CAUTION: It is disturbing so some may not want to watch.

7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Isn't it such a pity that things have come to this? I can't help but believe that if there wasn't so much media attention on these events, the cowardly shooters wouldn't be doing this.

Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

If their was no such thing as a gun free Zone maybe shooters wouldn't be going to schools and churches. They want to do damage but most don't want to get killed.

Ken Anderson likes this.