Passwords, Pins, And Other Imponderables

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

One of my lasting problems is keeping track. One credit card statement is late, my wife attempted to open an on-line access, asked me what password to use, I said same as another. She angrily refused. I use the same one for my car forums, two of them, as my image place conditioner. Used it for years, many places. My wife, OTOH, keeps a small notebook of that info in the cabinet above the PC nook (??). Accessible by any burglar.

How do you folks manage this imponderable? Careful not to say too much, though, the "man" come and take you away! :D

Frank

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a sheet of green paper on my desk, folded in half, upon which I keep all logins and passwords, written in haphazard fashion on all sides, with arrows and cross outs. If the paper weren't green, I'd never find it. It has laid on top of my desk for years. No one but me could make heads or tails out of it.:)

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Nancy Hart
    Sounds like a plan!
    Frank

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I use a password saver program on my Mac. If it ever quits working, I could have some problems. I do have some of the more important ones saved elsewhere, though.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Good Lord people... i use a password manager, and have for years and love it. I also keep a hard copy ,with the Master password under lock and key.
    I change passwords regularly on important accounts,and never use previous one again.
    You are not helping family much, once you are gone either. Plus i use two emails, one is for junk emails..you know, all those place that think they need your email address and swear they do not sell it. BS, I can prove they do. Always has spam. The other is for business only, doctors, lite bills, etc...no spam !
    Make life much simpler for me:D

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have a password saver program on the iPad,too, and that takes care of the problem most of the time. There is also a notes app on here and I write passwords down in that. Since it comes up on both the iphone and the ipads, I can always look up a password no matter which device i am using. Mostly, I don’t have to unless I am accessing something from a different device than I saved the password to.
    I use mostly a variation of the same few passwords for everything, as much as possible.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Mine are all in my head.

I have lots of variations. I'm not too particular with forum passwords though.

My important passwords are all in a foreign language. :)

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If you stay logged into an account, like this forum, you don't need to remember the password...…...unless, a Windows update possibly needs a reboot and then not only the password, but the sign-in user name would have to be reentered.

I have all of our passwords on paper, and when we go on a vacation, I take them with me in case I use a motel computer for something.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I do get logged out here on my iPhone occasionally ....I'm always resetting my password here because I just used the one that the site sent and didn't bother to make my own.

Of course when I'm out and on my phone I can't remembers what that weird password was so I just reset.

Finally though Ive come up with a password for here so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

One of the little irritations that get to me about user names and passwords is the often-required demand to change them. After the USPS losing or mis-delivering our mortgage payment twice, I set up to pay on-line. The danged bank has requested both be changed 4 times now in about the year or so I've been doing it. My change amounted to adding a number; I'm up to "4" now.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica While I was working, I was involved with a number of computer systems all requiring password changes for security and all on different time requirements, some having to change every three months, some every four months, some every six months, etc. I was keyed into a system that worked well by a co-worker: develop a password that meets requirements as to numbers, letter, case, and special characters; then change a character, letter or number in the MIDDLE of the password, thus making it a little harder to hack than adding or changing the beginning or ending. Plus, if you add something every time you change, you will eventually exceed the number of characters allowed. also, it is easier to remember when you change: numbers and letters can be changed sequentially, and special characters can be changed as the depicted on the keyboard (depending what characters are accepted, i.e., ! followed by @ followed by #, etc.

Sometimes you can start with all systems on the same password, but soon all systems on a different schedule will have different passwords unless you change ALL you passwords according to the schedule with the shortest interval requirement. It is better to have all access passwords different and this system makes it a little easier to remember them.

12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Having been an office boy a big part of my working career and being at the bottom of the food chain, I have never trusted computers although I have used one for years. I have always used a little lined notepad for pass words.
    For paying the bill I use a column pad, eye ease green to record ny bills, date due, date paid, check number, all necessary information. I even keep the amount I spend on groceries each month? I can easily segregate tax stuff I might need. Like I say I was an office boy. Having lost twice computers and much information twice due to lightning strikes and crashes, l consider anything on a computer as temporary, so a handwritten spread sheet seemed the best way to me. It also gives an old man something to do when he has no hobbies, does not fish, and not much to do with his time.

Neville Telen and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

So far, I have never had a Mac die on me. My first one became obsolete and couldn't be upgraded to new OS versions, but it still worked, and I was able to sell it for a couple of hundred.

14. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I keep a notebook ( the old fashioned kind made of paper) by my computer with all my passwords in it. I also at times make use of the "Forgot your password?" tab.

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I send myself an email with my passwords in it. If I change a password, I delete the old one and send the new one. The only one I have to remember is my email password.

Sheldon Scott and Frank Sanoica like this.