Past Vs Future

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Hedi Mitchell, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Gov. Ralph Northam another on the chopping block for something he did 35 years ago.
    I for one, am tried of others-regardless of who they are, being shamed for something said or done that long ago. The year 1984, was still very different times versus today, and no one should have to keep apologizing and have their life wrecked because of an act poor judgement.
    So many are offended by the simple mishap of a word or action now, that we all are under the possibility of one day being sued or ridiculed for our lack of judgement.
    I am not putting Gov Northam's in the news moment in the same category as accusations of rape or sexual misconduct from years ago. That is a whole other debate for me.
    There are too many to name here, along with organizations, that are offended by something daily.
    I really think some are actually paid to make this uproar over past mistakes, mainly those that reside in Washington or any government agency.
    Are you the same person, you were 35 years ago? Do you still have the same beliefs in every aspect of your life as in your previous years? No, you do not, you may retain some, but most of people have evolved in 35 plus years.If you have lived to age forty, you are without doubt going to have regrets, mistakes that you can not take back or make all warm and fuzzy - it is called living.
    Speak your mind, I will listen, may not debate, but will listen:cool:

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Absolutely agree Gloria...

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Geez Holly that was quick.. I barley hit the post button :)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL...I'm a speed reader...

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree with you Gloria - only in the sense that the person in question has turned their life around and no longer holds the beliefs
    they did. Everyone makes mistakes and those that see it are alright with me

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although I was quick to run with it, and would do it again, I agree with you, @Gloria Mitchell. I think it's too bad that we have devolved, politically, to the point where people are scouring college and high school yearbooks, and even getting elementary school teachers to come forward with something bad to say about someone in political office.

However, this is what the Democrats have been doing to Republicans for the past couple of years at least, so I have no problem with it being used against them as well. If you remember, Judge Kavanaugh was lambasted because of something he said about liking beer in high school, and over wholly unsubstantiated claims of inappropriate behavior in high school.

For years, Democrats have alleged that pretty much every Republican in the country was a racist, and with far less evidence than this, and often with no evidence at all.

In the case of Governor Northam, this wasn't a high school prank. He was through college and in medical school. I am surely not the most politically correct person in the world, but at no time in my life would I have associated myself with the KKK or appear in blackface, and certainly I knew better before becoming an adult.

There is also the fact that when he ran for office, he accused his opponent of being a racist, and with far less evidence than a photo in blackface or a KKK robe.

The only argument that could be made for that being okay for him would be that it was Virginia, and white people were expected to be racist. However, this wasn't 1850. For him to appear that way can only suggest that he believed that racism was acceptable and humorous. He wasn't a child, either. He was an adult.

As they did of Robert Byrd, Democrats generally accept racism from within their own ranks, and I am pleased to see that this does not appear to be the case this time.

I am all in favor of putting a cap on how far someone can go back to look for dirt, and I think that going back to someone's high school and elementary years is a bit too far, but people are adults by the time they start college, and should be responsible for their words and actions.

Certainly, people can change, and I'd like to see a political climate where there is an allowance for this, but it has to be on both sides. When Democrats are dragging out retired elementary school teachers to say that a Republican candidate ate paste when he was in third grade, they have to expect that they will be held responsible for what they did while in college.

I don't like the idea that someone has to groom for political office from the date of their birth, or that we expect perfection from people aspiring to political office, but the same rules have to apply to both sides.

Context would be nice. Were the photos from a Vaudeville skit or what? Then again, if he were a Republican, context wouldn't matter.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Northam needs to go.

Not because of some tit-for-tat, "Well, they did it first!", argument. Because he was wrong.

And now he's even lying about it, one way or another. That alone is enough, in my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019