People Get Shocked About My Wife

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Men get shocked when I show them a photo of her shooting her S&W 9mm at the Range. Apparently, they don't know any women that own and shoot firearms. Actually, the Range we have a membership at, we've only seen a couple of ladies shooting. One of them was a retired Army officer (Lt. Colonel).
    Women look at the photo and say "you go girl" and that makes us both smile.

Men aren't use to hearing how my wife helps on our boat........cleaning, driving and tying up at a dock. We do know, and have seen, young ladies laying on the bow getting sun and, maybe, a little "showing off". Not my wife.
    And, the lady can fish.......oh yea. She won't bait the hook, but will grab a rod, if using more than one, and reel a nice trout up to the boat, while I get the other rod. Then, we both work quickly to get both fish into the boat with a net.

My wife doesn't just wear Western clothes, including her cowboy hat, to a rodeo, she actually knows what going on in each event. How the contestants are judged and scored. She went from basically doing Western dancing, to really knowing what goes on at a rodeo. Some folks get amazed about that.

Some folks really get amazed at how much she knows about NFL. Boy, a Penalty Call is not made or wrong one made, she's all over the judging on that. I have to calm her down. She even knows some of the Plays.

And, golf, yep, she knows that also. Players, scoring........you name it.

How about your wife? Does she get compliments about things she knows? Is what she knows somewhat uncommon for a woman to know?

Let's hear it for the ladies and my wife..........."you go girls!!":D

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I don't have a wife but I know many women that shoot, play golf and fish and probably know a lot about sports.

I don't think these things are that uncommon for women to do.

I don't know any women that are into rodeos but I do know a few who have horses and ride.

I used to target shoot and fish. It's not that hard. :)

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I'm speaking on behalf of my husband's wife lol.....and here in the UK, it's not unusual for women to be sailors..( we have a boat).. nor golfers.. a little less unusual for them to go shooting but I have a gun licence for target and range shooting..and I know a few other women shooters too..

Lots of women here are huge sports fan.. and go to all the games...football, rugby, etc.. and know every rule in the book...

In fact with the exception of formula 1 motor racing, I know more about sports than my husband..

Nothing unusual in that... if a man complimented me on that I would feel I was being patronised as a ''little woman'' who is capable of doing the things men can do.. ...

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, apparently, neither of you ladies have been around the men and ladies we've met. Believe me, the women were proud of her gun handling and shooting abilities, but the men were much more "mancho" about it.

We've seen less than 5 ladies at the Range shooting and, when the Range had a luncheon for the members, there was on three ladies in attendance.

As far as boating goes, even my wife's best girlfriend, that she's known since high school, liked to be the "cutie" on her and her husband's boat. They don't boat anymore, so she can't look that way anymore. We met a couple at a boating class here. When seen them again at a ramp and the wife let her husband back the boat into the water, get out of the truck and take the boat off of the trailer, take it over to the dock, tie it up and then go back to the truck and park the truck and trailer. The entire time she was sitting in the truck. After he parked the truck/trailer, she got out and got in the boat. Didn't even help him untie and "push off".

Thing is, many women may certain things when they are younger, but can stop after a certain age.

Then again, there are a lot of young men that don't want their girlfriend or wife to go fishing with them. At a boat ramp, I talked to three young guys that felt just that way. When I asked them "where are the ladies", one said, "at home where she's suppose to be".

Now, if a person was to go to parts of Colorado or into Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, the Dakota's or the Plains States, I'm sure, without a doubt, there are women there that can, and do, everything that my wife does and more. More, being, working cattle, roping, milking dairy cattle, driving a tractor and numerous other things. I'm very glad that women got into law enforcement now, however I don't see many lady firefighters. Glad to see more women in the military also.

Actually, I was truly shocked when my wife had no problem with us buying a rifle. In my entire life, I had never met a lady that liked firearms and could shoot.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We must live on different planets....

The Midwest is full of women that do those things.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Midwest "big cities" or small towns? I'm sure in small towns, but very few big-city ladies do this stuff. I've been around also. My wife would say the same thing. Of course, she always agrees with me. (LOL)

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Oh, forgot, there is a big difference between a younger lady doing this stuff and a Senior lady doing this stuff. That's why I'm so proud of my wife. At almost 69, she still does this stuff.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I am talking about senior ladies @Cody Fousnaugh.

And quite a few in Chicago, so thats a big city.

And I'm done with this...I don't see it as an odd thing for women to do and am surprised you do.

What I find strange are the comments from your buddies who say women should be at home where they belong instead of fishing with them....very antiquated...did they say barefoot and pregnant also??

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

They do all of the stuff I said my wife does? Shooting, fishing, boating, rodeo knowledge? At the local gun store we go to, have never once seen a Senior woman looking at a gun. Plenty of young women, but no Seniors.

I don't want to argue about this Thread, I just want to show how proud of my wife that I am that she does this stuff. Neither of us know of any women in her age bracket that does this stuff. Not one single one.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I said in my first post I don't know about the rodeo part because I'm not interested in that at all.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I could ask you if you've done all the things she has, and still is, except for the rodeo and NFL thing. Sure doesn't appear to me that many ladies on this forum does any of these things, except for Holly and their boat.

Actually, I've had men say to me "you're one lucky dude". Yea, I'd say so.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My husband thought he was lucky also. :)

I did do all those things...remember I had an ex not too long ago and went boating and fishing and target shooting.

Haven't done them by myself since then...does your wife do these things by herself??

My best talent is putting together Lego sets...and that's the most important. :)

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Basically the only interest she had was NFL The guys she knew before me didn't do any of these things. That's why, when we met and I started taking her to rodeo's, she loved it. When we got to Colorado, we bought her her first rifle. Again, she loved it.

She wouldn't do any of this stuff, but watch NFL, before me, by herself.

That's why you should (could?) find a guy that does the things you and your husband did together. Wouldn't your life be more fun?

14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Not only our boat Cody...but also I shoot.... and here there are loads of female firefighters... .

You're right to be proud of your wife... but
    I think maybe we're a little more liberated here in the UK....it's not a surprise to find women doing all of those things...in fact where the boating is concerned..and we have a huge 70 footer bigger than most but .. on a canal that needs a lot of heavy lifting to open the many locks... it's often the women who do it, and not the men

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Women do those things in the US also...that's why I was kinda surprised at Cody's post.