People Who Have Different Interests Than Their Families

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, there are young farmers that end up taking over the farm from their parents. I know of two such farmers in Indiana that did just that.
    There are young folks that become, career wise, what their mother or father did in their careers. My wife did just that. Her mother was an Accountant, but with no college degree, and my wife became a degreed Accountant. Young men become Firemen and Law Enforcement Officers because their father was. Young men and women go into the military, because someone in their family was a "career" military person.

Then, there are those that take a career or have interests that are completely different from anyone in their family. No one in my wife's family is interested in firearms at all. We are. Nobody in either family has a boat. We do. Nobody in either family enjoys watching movies nearly as much as we do. Nobody in either family is interested in Star Wars, except us. My father was in the Navy, but besides me, nobody else in my family was in the military. Nobody in my wife's family ever was. Wife and I definitely love Western clothes and Western things, like rodeo's. Nobody else in either family does.

So, how "alike" or "different" are you from your family?

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

There's two things my whole Family has in common Cody,and that is our Faith and our love of Family. :) It is these two things that bind us together forever. We all pretty much love the beach too. :)

I love to read like my Mom did and so do most of my sisters...on the other hand my daughters don't seem to like to read for pleasure...their reading is mostly for furthering their Career choices while I like to read for pleasure and knowledge.

My dad served in the Military and so has some of my brothers and their children. I almost enlisted and sometimes wonder what different turns my life would have taken if I had. I scored (at that time) the highest score for women in Lafayette on the tests both for the Army and Air Force and I'm sure I would have ended up doing just fine in either Branch. But in the end I just wasn't ready to leave my Family. None of the ones who have enlisted have ended up making a Career of serving their Country like my Dad did until his retirement.

My Family is alike in many ways but they also have different interests and chose different Career paths, etc. Overall I think we all have more in common that keeps us close to each other than differences.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Because of the differences between us and our families, the word "family" really isn't a part of us. 99% of my family is deceased and my brother (half) and I have absolutely nothing in common. We talk on the phone at times, but that's it. My wife's family is so different from her, that when I first met her, she was living with her mom, but making mental plans to move to Laughlin, NV.. She didn't reveal this to anyone in her family, because she didn't want them to raise a "runkus" over it. However, when we decided to leave So California and move to Colorado, they didn't make a fuss over it, because they knew how different we were from them.

IOW, some families get along fine-to-great, while others don't-to-definitely don't.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I know I am really blessed to have the closeness of Family that I do Cody, it is something I thank God often for. Even though many of my siblings live in other states now...we still keep in touch as often as we can. Many of our children are going off in different directions and I don't think their generation will be as close to each other as ours is.

Another thing I find is that even though we have many of the same interests, many of us oldsters just don't have the energy or health to keep up with the youngsters these days! :)

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My brothers and I share similar views on most issues today, but I never wanted to hunt and didn't hunt, despite the fact that this was something that everyone else in my family enjoyed enough that we had our own hunting camp on eighty acres of land. I liked being in the wood, but didn't want to kill anything. It's not that I objected to hunting so much as it was that I didn't want to be the one who did the deed, and especially I didn't want to be gutting any dead animal.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When my wife bought me my Winchester 30-30 Lever-Action rifle for Christmas in Colorado, the plan was for me to go deer hunting. That never happened, and won’t, but we do have a yearly membership to a local gun and rifle club for target shooting. We both love that.

As far as boating goes, we have met some Senior former boat owners that sold their boat when their kids left home, because the kids didn’t have that much of an interest in boating. And, those that gave their boat to their kids or grandkids.
    We have never seen many boaters on the water that were Seniors.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of the Seniors like Yachts and Cruise boats. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  8. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Guess my family is pretty typical, we share some likes and not others.

My youngest brother and I love sailing, and living in California, he
    has a nice boat he keeps at the harbor.
    He and his wife both teach in the University of California system.

My oldest brother and I both are retired military, him the Army and me
    the USAF.

Both my brothers have many college degrees, have private pilot licenses
    and not so your humble narrator. :)

We rarely discuss politics, just something that doesn't matter on how we
    get along.

My oldest brother and I love travel and visiting foreign lands while my
    youngest stays put in Cali.

When we get together it is an easy going, pleasant time.

All anyone can ask.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My brother and I are different as daylight and dark, but we get along good,now- as kids not so much.
    My brother has big fancy house..we live in apartment- by choice.
    I have much more in common with my youngest daughter than the oldest daughter.
    um that about it.... differences and distances to some degree, but no real biggie to me.

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    At the age of 12, my Dad bought a brand new Winchester Model 94 .30-.30 which was to be mine. Though, any use and handling of it was still reserved to strict control. The rifle cost around $60, then a lot of dough. In 1964, Winchester Repeating Arms Corp. underwent drastic reorganization, the long-term result of which is to have increased the value of ALL pre-1964 Winchester firearms, much more so than post-64s. Of course, I sold my rifle to a co-worker when I was in my 20s, but it's value today surely exceeds $1000, I would guess. What investment made in 1954 can boast of a near-2000% increase in value?
    Frank

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My sister ( 3 years older ) amd my brother ( 17 years younger ) are both liberals. My brother gets mad and won't even speak to me, especially during an election year. He gets really bitter and won't even discuss politics with me. He posts his opinions all the time but will remove any pots that disagree with him. he has me blocked on facebook.

My sister, on the other hand, agrees with my brother on political matters, but we get along great and even joke about our differences.

As for the rest of the family, I really don't know much about their political leanings, but I am much closer to my wife's children and grandchildren than I am my own.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

There are a few ways I am different from my sisters and my daughters. They really love shopping and eating out. I don't like shopping and only shop for the things I need while shopping for them is like a hobby. And I like take out instead of eat out. :)

I also like to "deep talk" the subjects I am interested in which may be anything from politics to making your own baby food. They are more "surface" talkers.

They also like to keep up with the latest fashions as much as possible and all like to wear makeup on a regular basis...while I just want to be comfortable in what I wear and only put a touch of foundation for dress up occasions.

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I couldn't be more different to my brothers and sisters. Our lifestyles and our Morals and ways of thinking are poles apart...

Sheldon Scott and Babs Hunt like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I can talk "rodeo" to my wife and she completely understands. It's like she's been involved in it her whole life, but in reality, only since she's known me. The rest of the family........NOPE!

What my wife has told me, and would tell anyone, "Cody brought out interests in me that nobody else did, because none of them were interested".

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.