Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband drinks only water or alcohol...maybe one cuppa strong coffee a week that's all... otherwise the water always has Lemon and lime slices in.. I freeze really thin slices and he pops them into his drink like ice cubes.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't afford to waste water here...just got my bill for this month...$113!

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

OMG!!!! WOW that's expensive!!!

Our water is good water, and very much pure enough to drink from the tap... and I don't think we pay that much in a year!!

Now the argument could be that you live in an arid area... but then so is our Spanish house in a very dry hot arid area.. .. and the water bill is about 40 euros every 2 months...

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That includes my garbage pick up but most of it is for water.

In the winter when sprinklers aren't on it's somewhat less...by maybe 25-30 dollars.

I'm sure it's also expensive so people don't use too much...we are always in a drought. Water usage is limited.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What they do here is they charge us for the water usage (per gallon), and then they double that amount and charge us that for sewer, which seems ridiculous to me.
    In the summer, we use a lot of that water outside for the lawn and garden, and it doesn’t go down the sewer at all.
    Maybe that is what they do in Fresno, too, @Chrissy Cross ? That would make your bill higher, even though you aren’t using that many gallons of water.

My back is working its way back to normal, but slowly.
    I was helping Robin this weekend, and we moved some pretty heavy boxes of stuff, and I am sure that I just pulled muscles that I don’t normally use every day. I went swimming yesterday, and the hot tub helped, and I was fine while I was swimming; but then it just stiffened back up again after I got out of the pool.
    Tomorrow, I am hoping to be able to go swimming again, so it just better get over this stuff by tonight !

Anyway, the day has not been a total loss, I got all of the housework caught up, cleaned out the refrigerator, and organized it better, so we can find stuff in there again.
    Next project is the bathroom shelves. We ordered all of that OTC medical stuff, bandaids, ointments, and such, and now I need to organize the shelves in there so we can find what we want, when we need it.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't know @Yvonne Smith but about $60 of that was for water, metered.

It will be less soon because I just looked at the bill and we are back to being allowed to water only 2 days a week instead of 3 starting Sept 1.

Grass isn't that great as it is. :(

Oh well.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We're charged for sewer too and there's no meter on the sewer so they have to base it on the amount of water used.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, it does,@Frank Sanoica, and is probably not appropriate for the desert unless you can use the discarded water. The discarded water contains all the contaminants that do not pass through the membrane. More most applications, simple filtration is adequate. Discarded RO water can be used to flush toilets, and such where purity isn't needed. RO is generally indicated where really pure water is needed, or where water is heavily contaminated and you don't want anything to slip through.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska
    Not fully "up" on how it works, but I assume R-O either discards water as it is filtering it, or later on timed command, to clear the membrane. The fact remains, to use the discarded water effectively, it would have to be stored somewhere until time for it's use.
    Frank

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well I just got back from Trader Joe's so I looked to see where they put the expiration date on the hummus I buy...yep, on the part that you tear off and throw away...grrrrr

Now I'll have to mark the container next time.

Why do they do these things???

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'd just quit eating hummus, except that I never started eating hummus. It sounds like something you'd use to enrich the soil in your garden.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

But I love it!! @Ken Anderson

Especially the eggplant one...it's the lowest calorie one and it's healthy so makes a great snack to dip veggies in. :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Uh, healthy?? Well, if you insist. Only kidding with you here. Heathy is a very good word all thru a person's life, but really important as a Senior. For us, no eggplant. For us it's Thousand Island, French and wife loves Blue Cheese dressings. Gotta have a little sugar in life.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Actually it doesn't taste at all of eggplant...just a good hummus...I love hummus and would eat it anyway....even if it was that good for you.

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My youngest daughter buys hummus alot. I'm starting to hear so much about it I will try some next time I go to her house if she has some. It is supposed to be good for you and I think it has fiber too. :)