Pet Rocks and Mood Rings

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I was listening to the news this morning and the DJ made a reference to mood rings and it got me thinking of the "fad" items from when I was young.

I remember getting a mood ring, it was adjustable, so anyone could wear it. It was actually kind of a pretty "stone" and it was amazing to me that it changed colors. My friends and I would take turns wearing it to see what color it would change to and what that told us about each other. Kind of a bummer when I read that it was the heat of your skin that made it change colors.

Then there was the pet rock fad. My older brother bought one and my mother thought that was the biggest waste of money ever. Of course, now that I'm her age, I can understand her feeling - but we all thought it was cool.

I know there have been hundreds of these types of things, like Crazy 8 ball, rubic cubes, cabbage patch dolls, Ferbies .... What fad items could you just not live without when you were younger?

mood ring.jpg

Susan Long likes this.
  2. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a mood ring, I think mine was broke or something, for me it always stayed dark and usually black. Other people could wear it and it would turn colors but not me. I also remember being quite fond of anything that was glow in the dark.

There was a point where these jean suits were very fashionable, they consisted of soft blue jeans and a jacket like the Levi jackets. I wanted one so bad, they looked cool to me. I did have a jean suit but mine was dark blue not that light jean blue. The stitching was the double visible stitching we see today. At the time I hated that. Today I get I was sort of a trendsetter because others got the same style later. Does anyone recall when everyone wore the Annie Hall Style clothes? I loved those flowery print skirts. never did the hat or neck tie but like the vests. Hmmm... I still dress like that sort of These days it is more of a suit jacket but I still like the longer loose skirts.

[​IMG]

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a mood ring, and I also was fascinated with it, and loved watching it change colors. We shared them around to watch what color they would become as each girl tried it on. I never liked wearing rings; so except for putting it on to watch it change color; I didn't wear it much.

I remember pet rocks; but i had real pets, and had no interest in having a pet rock. There was some sort of a little flat thing with fur that looked kind of like a ferret, and you put it on your shoulder or arm, and when you petted it, it would kind of slither like it was real.
    It had cute little eyes, and I had one of those, but do not remember what they were called.

Another fad was the Poodle Skirt. We all had to have a Poodle Skirt, and of course, the wide belt to go along with it, and the huge crinoline undersskirts to make it flare out. Mine was pink with a black Poodle similar to the one in the picture, and it was made of felt. I think it had to be drycleaned.
    I really didn't like dresses; but we had to wear them to school; so as far as skirts went; my Poodle skirt was one of my favorites !
    image.jpg

Julia Curtis and Susan Long like this.
  4. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I have had a couple of mood rings along the way. I would say the one I had back in the 70's was hard earned from working in a textile mill. The second one, I purchased about 10 years ago while on vacation. It was a fun reminder of the first ring. My days when the ring registered 'happy' were the ones I like most!

5. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

Great visual Yvonne. Although I was not a fan of the poodle skirt, it does look nice on the lady you have pictured here. It is quite a memory to think of all the fashion trends we have lived through.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a few mood rings but they did not seem to be very accurate but for 25 or 50 cents... I never had a pet rock but I have to give the makers credit. When the fad started to drop, they started to sell pet rock coffins! I don't recall any particular item that I really needed when I was a kid, but I do remember spending hours with my yo-yo.

7. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I still have mine.:)

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

My pet rock was memorialized in concrete on top of a stone wall beside the driveway years ago. It's still there.

Never had a mood ring. :(

Julia Curtis and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I had several of the rings. One pet rock, long gone, no idea where it went.
    Do you remember the mood lipsticks? They were nasty looking to me.

Julia Curtis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Never had a pet rock,people I grew up with did but when they would give me.one that was all painted nice I'd take it outside.So I guess I was "given" a lot but put them all outside.:D

Yvonne Smith likes this.