Photos In Social Media

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Corie Henson, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you post your photos in social media?

For us, social media is what the name means - a place to socialize with the use of posts like photos or anecdotes or other items, can also be music or video. It is my way of connecting to friends and relatives who are in other countries or distant provinces. Unlike before when we communicate by postal mail, now it is almost interactive because of social media, and that is aside from the chat facility.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the first things that I do each morning is to look at my Facebook page, and see what new things my friends and family have posted on Facebook.
    I am not one of those who posts what I am eating for every meal, nor do I care what anyone else is making for dinner. However, I simply "unfollow" the people who post their game scores, menus, or just every recipe, idea, or joke that they see online.
    Then, when I want to see what is on their page, I can go and look; but I do not have all of that extraneous information posted all over my own page.
    Sometimes, I will share some information, or a cute video or picture, and occasionally write a post when I have news to share with people.
    When I write a new story in my blog, I always post that to google+, twitter, and facebook.

3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I have mentioned this is another unrelated thread, but yet a valid statement here; I keep my old anti-establishment self that push me against conventional things or power-hungry companies.

Facebook is now a power-hungry company, so that I have started updating my profile since long time back because I will not provide the Sucker-berg with free material to keep him making millions with all the content and work that people do there for free. You should know that once you upload your photos to Facebook, they are not longer yours but of the Sucker-berg property as per the FB site terms.

However I have set up my own social network to share with family and friends and socialize with other members, but a place where I don't publish any photos either.

Reason why is that I ended up changing my perception about cherished photos we would like to keep or to share after my father passed away a bit more than 6 yeas aog, and got then my mother burning down all of his pictures and documents.

My parents were married over 50 years despite half of the time the were distanced from each other, and my mother said to have only bad memories from him, then wanting to put a final period to those memories by burning all, but while I can't say all my memories are happy when it comes to remember my father, I would certainly liked to keep a photo of him, no matter how vivid is in my mind his face throughout the time.

After such experience and seeing that she doesn't care at all to treasure photos of her daughters or other family members, I lost my interest to take photos other than panorama scenes, as long as they don't contain human or living beings (pets, creatures, etc.)

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I do have family in several states that I like to see on Facebook. Their families are growing, it helps to keep us in contact with each other. Personal stuff in not posted for the worlds to see.

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never shared any photos in social media, except in a retweet, but I do like to view images posted by people I follow. I don't particularly want to see their pets or their kids but I do like photos they have taken of different places, unusual sights, amusing signs, wildlife and, in one case, their beautiful hanging baskets.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not overly concerned about any of that stuff. I have been online since public access to the Internet became available, and haven't had any problems.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  7. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I have hundreds of pieces of work all over the net but yet I do not have a facebook. I agree with you @Carlota Clemens I was not to keen with the terms of service and really did not like the idea that a picture I posted would become that companies property. Now with that being said I have done several pieces for companies as a hired gun, pieces that included pictures and that I transferred copyright to.. but it was all known upfront and a part of the deal. I don't like that someone in FB advertising could decided that a picture of my grand daughter or even me might be perfect for advertising to a selected segment.

So since I have no use for duck lips and selfies I share what I want in a social manner either via email or on a forum when I feel it is appropriate. I am selective what I share, and do so with caution. Sadly it is true that the world is still a very unsafe place and you have to be a bit careful what you do.

I actually do enjoy seeing pictures of kids that my son grew up with, I like seeing the wedding pictures and ones of the children as they grow up. It is sort of sad to say, had it not been for Facebook I would not have known about the death of someone I knew. I think younger people get more out of it then I could, although I do like a good meme.

8. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't really share pictures out on social media. I guess its just not the kind of person I am. I do like to see some of the photos that are shared out there. Especially the ones my family puts out there, because there are times when I don't stay in touch with them as much as I use to. So, seeing these photos helps me to find out what is going on with them.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We've been with Facebook for a few years now. I got on it when one of my high school classmates done a page for an upcoming Class Reunion that we couldn't go to. I have a photo of wife and I on our page and have it titled with both of our first names. I have 34 friends, which, compared to some, is a very small number of friends. I will "unfriend" someone when I don't like the language they are using or pictures they post.
    We don't tell everything we do everyday. If/when we go on vacation, I won't post that we are gone or put any photos on from where we are. Posting that you're not at home sure can invite trouble........no thanks!
    We will also post some pictures we've taken, but just don't get carried away with it. I check out our FB page everyday for new postings/pictures.
    I happen to like FB.
    We are not fans of Tweeter or Instagram.

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband is the only one left here in the Philippines. His 3 siblings, with their families, are all settled in the US on the strength of their legal immigrant status. When my husband posts a photo in Facebook, he gets 50 likes in an hour and in one day that post would gather a hundred on the average. The likers are mostly friends and relatives from abroad but not his siblings. There is a gap that is difficult to explain but that's how they (siblings in the US) treat social media.. only for their own convenience and not really for connecting to people. Well, maybe they are anti-social, huh.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I have family, friends and colleagues on social media and I do post pictures on social media. I wish twitter would have automatic picture showing when I post on twitter. I like facebook and google + because people can see pictures automatically. I market my books and pictures do tell a thousand words. You got to see the cover of a book to get enthused about reading it. I like posting pictures so people know what I look like and I can know what they look like too. Our family posts happenings and pictures too, so we keep in touch with social media as well as marketing my books.