Physical Changes As We Age

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

20 years ago Scuba Diving to 100 ft. was a challenge I accepted and met. White Water Rafting on a Force 5 river was another. Walking and carrying a bag three times a week in 90 degree heat on a long 18 holes of golf. Playing that third game of Racquetball when I should have quit at two.
    Today it's a physical challenge for me to take my walker to Target and shop for one hour, and moving from one end of my apartment to another with my walker or going to a doctor appointment using Uber to get there and my walker once there.
    Lots of things change as we age and physical activity is just one of them.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

About 30 years ago, I owned a Quarter Horse, rode and roped from him in rodeo. When I met my wife, 20 years ago, my horse was already gone, but I was helping out in the rodeo arena quite a bit. Those days are definitely gone now, but we are big/major fans of rodeo yet.

We still have/use a powerboat, but when we lived here in Colorado before, we had one and used it almost every Saturday and Sunday during the summer months. If we could have it in a slip, at a marina, we use it much more. But, definitely can't afford that.

I definitely believe that age plays a major part in how our body functions. I could probably rope again, but that is a most definite "probably", not a "certainty" We can no longer square dance anymore. Would be just too hard on our bodies.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I try to keep as active as I can, and so far I don't see a lot of difference as far as physical activity. I have good balance and I exercise every day, usually some sort of cardio to get my heart into peak range. Of course none of us are the same as 20 or 30 years ago; who on earth expects that?

@Cody Fousnaugh -- dancing would be excellent exercise even at your age.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I climb trees for a living, but I no longer take on the big takedowns, giving them, instead, to my crew. I think I could still do them, but something inside of me tells me not to push it, at 67. I stay active around my house, doing lots of physical projects, almost everyday, but I typically go about 3-4 hours, now, instead of 6-7 hours.

If it gets to the point where I can no longer do the things I want to do, I doubt I'll hang around. Bearing witness to my own incipient decrepitude is not something I'll ever abide.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

To Each His Own

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to play tons of raquetball and ride my bike a lot. I commuted to work in Rosslyn VA, just across the river from DC. Most of the ride was nice, the last couple of miles were "interesting." I've been on long weekend rides though Amish country in Pennsylvania, staying at the dorms of a college.

I've also been rafting, here on the east coast: the Gauley, the Cheat, the New, the Youghiogheny.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Change with age is inevitable but to a very large degree we have capability to determine how dramatic and quickly those changes take place.
    Barring some debilitating disease or event and with a little help from genetics, our hormone levels do not have to decrease, our immune systems do not have to be at risk, our muscles do not have to weaken or decrease in mass and our mental acuity doesn’t have to dull.
    Our bones do not have to be brittle, our veins do not have to be blocked, our nervous system doesn’t have to go awry and the natural filters in our bodies do not have to be clogged.

Seems to me, beyond a some wrinkles, most of which can be avoided with added muscle mass and supplementation, we have a lot of choices we can still make. Actually, now that we’re out of an organized workforce, we are free to make even better choices.

Thomas Stearn and Lois Winters like this.
  8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Not long ago I saw from the car some first responders doing a training exercise on the river which included a helicopter, so I pulled over and walked to the river to get a better look. Down below and closer to the bank were a father and daughter getting an even better look while I was up higher. When they had enough, the daughter climbed up the bank like a little monkey in no time. For me now it would have been a cautious crawl.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Exercise is what helped me in the physical mess I am now. No thank you!

10. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Exercise is beneficial to some, but not to others.

Barleycorn Barleycorn
    Injun meal Shorts,
    Spunk Water, Spunk Water
    Swaller these Warts.

Hal

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Okay, I’m curious Gloria. How did that happen?

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not so with rotator cuff surgery on each shoulder and a hip replacement in right hip. I don't need to hurt (get pain) anymore than I already do.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I venture to write that some kind of exercise is Always beneficial for the human body and brain. It may not be high impact but if one is able, simple walking is called...exercise. Deep breathing techniques are called exercise.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I can totally understand your reply here.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My half-brother absolutely love hard labor, from doing construction on a home he has bought, to changing brakes or whatever on a vehicle. However, he absolutely hates computers or any modern day stuff. Before retiring, he worked as a supervisor for repair of heavy equipment in PA.. He told me that he had his secretary do all of his computer/paperwork for him while he'd be out in the shop helping mechanics. He still buys/reads a local newspaper while sitting on the toilet.

Him and his wife, who is much like him (hard/physical work), very seldom take a vacation anymore. He'd rather be in Florida or in PA working on something quite physical.

We've had a few disagreements on my lifestyle and his (physical work). He loves it and I definitely don't!