Physical Restrictions

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How does any Senior search for a part-time job when they have physical restrictions? From reading different posts and Threads on this forum, a lot of us do have physical restrictions that wouldn't make it that easy to find a part-time job..........if we wanted one.

As for myself, if I stand too long, my left ankle (ankle surgery in '88) will start talking to me as well as my hip (hip replacement in '05). Can't lift very much weight due to rotator cuff surgery on each shoulder. Think most of the pain I get in these areas is from arthritis that has set in during my "older years".

The only type of job I could ever take is sitting down at a desk and using a computer.

How about you? Have physical limitations that have to be met if you looked for a job again.

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh I am a very lucky person, Cody, as I know by 74 many guys have experienced issues such as you mention. I have not, for some reason. Only time ever hospitalized was tonsillectomy at age 5, in and out during one day's light. So, I suppose if a nice position appeared open, I might consider it.

Actually, our first winter stay here as Snowbirds, I applied to an ad by the local Community College to teach Electric Theory. The Dep't. Head definitely wanted me, but the "red tape" dictated need for college transcripts. I graduated from DeVry Technical Institute in 1963 with a 2-year degree in Electronics Technology, and from University of Nevada, Las Vegas in 1976 Bachelors in Engineering. UNLV promptly delivered a transcript; DeVry could not. After many calls, communications, and anger, I gave up on the idea. I was also surprised that the B.S. degree alone would not prove adequate, when compared to an Associate Degree.

Frank

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm full of restrictions. After I was deemed disabled I tried to find a job, at least part time. Then I could still walk with a cane, for short distances. Couldn't stand long or pick up anything heavy. Could have handled a driving job though. My town's cab service went out of business by then, but I had jobs in the past where all I did was drive a lift truck around a big warehouse.
    But, no luck with that.
    Now, I'm more restricted and couldn't even drive much. I'm almost full circle. :)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yea, along with my physical restrictions, I don't have a college degree and or any kind of Certificate. I did go to college, for less than a year, but when I called the college to verify that I went there in 1974, they had absolutely nothing on me ever attending there. So, the only education that can be verified is HS Graduation and three online classes that I took.
    Heck, even my wife's Bachlor's Degree is outdated. She got it in 1997, but at least she got the Degree and has the actual Degree to prove it.
    As for me, I think I'll be somewhat SOL to find the kind of "sit-down/office/computer part-time job that I might want someday.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to vary my position, can't sit or stand in one position too long because my back will hurt. I can sit in a recliner all day but sitting in a regular chair hurts my tailbone.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

For a consolation, you are still luckier to be in a country with no age restrictions. My husband's father was hired as a receptionist security guard at age 66. And he had to undergo a week of training to learn how to use the computer. But over here, he doesn't have even a Chinaman's chance to get a job like that. Senior citizens here have almost a zero opportunity of employment.

Looking ahead, I don't even imagine getting another job after I retire and the only recourse to earn money it to put up a business otherwise I would just enjoy my grand vacation at home.

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh ....."has the actual Degree to prove it."

So I thought, too. The CC would not accept my DeVry Degree as proof of having studied what it was declared to have bestowed.

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My biggest restriction right now is my left knee. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot in the knee but it didn't help. I'm expecting to have to resort to surgery next.:eek: The upside is I don't need or want a job.:D

9. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel forunate to be able to still work part-time.
    Not sure how the goverment rates VA disablity, but sure don't feel, most times,
    like I'm disabled to 30% by their rating system.

A lot more injured than I.

Times when the left arm stops working, but I mostly know when its coming on, so can usually wait it out.
    A nerve thing. Different doctor, different diagnosis.

It's all Good.

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

The younger generation takes the reigns, while the older gradually gives them up.

And so it goes.