Pics Of The Philippines

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Craig Wilson, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Craig Wilson

Registered

I spent 10 days on this island in the Central Philippines last May. It is a mixture of beauty and extreme poverty, with pollution that you can almost touch.
    Some sites in Cebu City.
    IMG_0012.JPG
    Basilica Minore del Santo NiƱo.

[​IMG]
    Fort San Pedro.
    [​IMG]
    Taoist temple.
    [​IMG]
    Datu Lapu-Lapu who killed Ferdinard Magellan.
    [​IMG]
    This small construction houses Magellan's Cross (below).. which some say has miraculous powers.
    [​IMG]

3. Craig Wilson

Registered

IMG_0027.JPG
    Me acting the goat on way to Mactan Island.
    IMG_0046.JPG
    Feeding the fishies.
    [​IMG]
    Mactan Island
    IMG_0072.JPG
    a local house.
    IMG_0113.JPG
    Cattle everywhere in the countryside. Our bus had to wait five minutes while this family crossed the road.
    IMG_0156.JPG
    ...and this was our destination. Cebu's tallest waterfall. It was a sweltering day so a dip was very welcome.

Attached Files:

4. Craig Wilson

Registered

I mentioned earlier about the pollution in Cebu City. How you can almost touch it as it is so all pervading. On way back thru the outskirts of Cebu City after our waterfall day tour I honestly was close to passing out due to the cramped conditions and the outside pollution. As it is so hot.. day and nite there.. the transport has no windows. This is fine in the fresh open spaces of the island's interior but not in the city. They clearly have more modes of transport than the roads can take and no standards on exhaust emissions or age of vehicle and just about every local Cebuan thinks he is a Formula 1 driver. In short driving in Cebu is hectic, dangerous and extremely smelly and choking.

If you suffer from claustrophobia I recommend you do not ride in the back section of a Jeepney. Every Cebuan and his dog (no dogs allowed of course) cramp themselves into and on top of (see pic) these leftovers from WW2. I do not know whether there is a passenger limit but the ones I rode in sure did not have one.
    [​IMG]
    A typical overcrowded Jeepney.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, that juxtaposition of splendor and squalor is hard on the senses.

I came upon that in India last year.....slums beyond belief butted right up against a former rajah's palace that is now a fancy hotel. Emaciated cows leaning against luxury cars. Dead bodies on the sidewalk. And air pollution that you could cut through with a dull butter knife.

6. Craig Wilson

Registered

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Shirley Martin and Kate Ellery like this.
  7. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

1A12D95C-6608-46CC-982E-4D359BAFFAD4.jpeg My eldest son traveled to the Phillipines to get married @Craig Swanson he was horrified by the poverty there
    as well as the pollution in Manila
    His wife came out to Australia with him she then had to go back to sort out her visa ect
    they have three children now ,I dont know how she adapted from living in a green area to living in Broken Hill

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Craig Wilson

Registered

How did your son meet his wife?

I expect Manila is even more polluted.. larger population than Cebu. I have bad memories of Manila as that is from where I flew back to Australia. The airport was a shambles that nite. My flite was delayed by three hours. The airport lounge is not air conditioned.. so you can imagine the discomfort while trying to kill three hours. :eek:

9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered