Pinterest

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Bill Boggs, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Does anyone use Pinterest? What is it? What's it for? If someone knows anything about this invasive program, please take a minute and clue me in.

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Pinterest is a platform allowing you to "pin your interests" in the form of images on boards and the like in order to share them with others so as to inspire them to go out and do it. So it's a social network for exchanging ideas and interests and is predominantly used by women sharing ideas on food, pets, home, crafts, style, fashion, arts and a lot of other things. Once you have stated your interests, you'll be flooded with images, videos, GIFs, short texts, etc. You just need to browse. There's a search functionality as well.

It used to have (still has?) a strict registration policy and a lot of Europeans were in trouble due to having infringed copyrights. Way too restrictive and complicated, if you ask me. Needn't be the same in the US, though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a love-hate relationship with Pinterest.

It is a great way to search for information on almost any subject but they do flood you with constant updates as TS mentioned.

Maggie Mae and Bill Boggs like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think I had an account once, but never used it.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a hate-hate relationship with Pinterest.

I do a lot of image searches. Pinterest seems to be a collector of all images on the internet. It acts like an intermediary between your search engine and the website with the image you want.

You click on an image, and it takes you to Pinterest, and often you have to page down through dozens of other images, to find the one you thought you clicked on.

Sometimes I attach this to the end of keyword searches just to exclude it.

keywords -site: pinterest.com .. (no space between colon and pinterest, else you get a tongue :phere)

It used to be even worse. Pinterest pages covered themselves with a curtain trying to force you to log in. They must have gotten a lot of complaints about that.

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

If you want to see some funny pictures, google "pinterest fails". There are several sites that show pictures of how projects were supposed to come out and how they actually did.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thomas Stearn likes this.