Plastic Bag Salad Garden Is Amazingly Easy!

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was just browsing on YouTube, and found this interesting little video about using our leftover plastic grocery bags to grow lettuce and salad greens in.
    What could be simpler than that, or cheaper ?

The video shows them making a table, but we have some shelves out in the yard that should work perfect for this , and will be a lot less work for @Bobby Cole than having to build us a new table for plants.
    There is even a recipe at the end for making salad rolls, if you are into that.
    I think that I will try some of my spinach and bok choy in plastic bags and see how it goes.

Lois Winters and Milla Jonas like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks interesting, Yvonne. Did you try this yet?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have not tried this one yet, @Beth Gallagher . The laundry basket experiment with potatoes worked so well, that i am going to try that with more of my plants.
    Not everything will grow out the side of the basket like the potatoes do, but I have a small one filled up with strawberry plants, and am going to try another one with cucumbers.
    I don’t have a good place to put the plastic bag garden, but it might work just putting the bags on the ground. I have been saving the Amazon boxes, and am going to try growing in those, too.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to have a small raised bed garden; I've never tried much container gardening except for an occasional patio tomato plant. Here's my last little veggie garden; this was about 5 years ago. Somehow I lost interest in it and we dismantled it.

photo-139.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.