Political Dynasties

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Corie Henson, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Our country is the land of political dynasties. The current president is the son of a former president. His predecessor is the daughter of a former president. Most of the governors and mayors have allocated the position for themselves with their children becoming their successors.

The leader in surveys for next year's presidential election is the current vice president whose son is mayor of the premiere city, a daughter is a senator and another daughter is congresswoman while his wife was former mayor. It's really a buy one, take all event for them.

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, here in the United States I guess its pretty much the same way. Here we have two of our most notable parties Democrat and Republican where the front runner candidates could be considered part of political dynasties themselves. We have for the GOP Jeb Bush the son of George Bush and brother of George W. Bush, who is one of the front runners for that party's ticket. He himself had been Governor of Florida. On the Democrat side there is Hilary Clinton the former first lady of the United States when her husband Bill was President. She herself had been elected to Congress and served for one term as Secretary of State in the Obama Administration. I see these two probably being the ones fighthing it out in 2016, I would be surprised if anyone else got the ticket over them. But then this race isn't over yet.

3. Corie Henson

Registered

@Hannah Davis, I am aware of the Bush and the Clintons. But here, there are so many families holding on to power. Here in our province, the former governor was the father and then the mother replaced him and followed by the son - that's 3 in the family holding the governorship. And in the recent election, the mother got back to being governor and the former governor son is now mayor of the capital city. Isn't it immoral for them to be holding elective office like that? Is it because they are so popular and they are grabbing the opportunity?

4. Corie Henson

Registered

Okay, let me start naming names now so that thread will be somewhat specific.

First off, it is the present president of our country, Noynoy Aquino whose mother Cory Aquino was president in 1986. Right now we have a senator by the name of Bam Aquino, a first cousin of the president. Isn't that nice and cute? A president and a senator, huh. And there is a rumor that the president's youngest sister who is a popular tv and movie personality is thinking of joining the senatorial race. Well, that would make 2 cousins in the senate.

But it doesn't matter since we have 2 siblings in the senate, I mean 2 pairs of siblings. Pia Cayetano and Allan Peter Cayetano are both senators, having the same mother and father. There's Jinggoy Estrada and JV Ejercito, both senators and having the same father, the former president Joseph Estrada. Let me continue with the Estradas because Jinggoy's mother was a former senator while JV's mother is currently mayor of San Juan city. And I believe there a councilor that is a nephew of JV (I just didn't catch the name).

Now, if you are not yet bored, I am. So let me continue with the list of political families some other time.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We spend so much money on elections candidates cannot finance their own run and must raise funds by asking for support. Now the big boys can jump in with all their resources so we usually wind up with someone behinds the scenes pulling certain strings regardless who is elected. Our elections have not really changed much from a few years ago when the big bosses in the back rooms developed the strategy and know how to get candidates elected and to pick an appropriate vice president. Except for appointing judges to the bench I don't suppose it matters much dynasty wins or which outsider upsets the applecart. I suspect it will be Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton. I would prefer to see Mr. Bush carry the torch. I do reserve the right to change my mind.

6. Corie Henson

Registered

May I continue with my list of political dynasties? A senator named Bong Revilla is in jail for charges of plunder. His wife is a congresswoman of his town and his son is the vice governor of their province. His father was the first politician in the family who was voted in as a senator in those days. By the way, Bong Revilla is a popular actor, the same with his father who starred in action movies before. I almost forgot, a brother of Bong is mayor of their hometown.

The former president, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is the daughter of a former president Diosdado Macapagal. Gloria's sons, Dato and Mikee have been congressmen. Now, Gloria is a congresswoman herself. They say that position she sought despite her ailment is to protect her from being in jail. Gloria is presently under hospital arrest.

7. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Corie, it sounds to me like you've got an awful lot of corruption going on in your country! Your list makes my head spin! I hope these people are at least competent and honest. I kind of doubt it though, since they have taken over the political process altogether! Are you happy with them?

8. Corie Henson

Registered

You can say that again, @Brittany Houser it will really make you head spin with the list of families holding on to high elective positions in the government. Just in our town, the former mayor Fexlix was the son of the former mayor and fortunately the son lost in reelection Mayor Ilagan who later on had his wife run in his stead. Fortunately again, the wife lost.

But in the adjacent town of Pasig, the mayor used to be the old Eusebio followed by his Mrs. and was succeeded by the son. Now the current mayor is the wife of the son. That's 4 in a row. In our province, the former governor was Mr. Ynares who was succeeded by his wife Nini who was in turn replaced by her son JunJun and in the last election, Junjun ran and won as mayor of another town and the governor is Nini again, the mother.

So sad that only a few families are holding elective positions in our country.

9. Corie Henson

Registered

You can say that again, @Brittany Houser it will really make you head spin with the list of families holding on to high elective positions in the government. Just in our town, the former mayor Fexlix was the son of the former mayor and fortunately the son lost in reelection Mayor Ilagan who later on had his wife run in his stead. Fortunately again, the wife lost.

But in the adjacent town of Pasig, the mayor used to be the old Eusebio followed by his Mrs. and was succeeded by the son. Now the current mayor is the wife of the son. That's 4 in a row. So sad that only a few families are holding elective positions in our country.