Politics Or Talent?

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to change the opinions of anyone but there is not even a politician that doesn't have at least one issue that I disagree with let alone a celebrity who supports a particular candidate. With that being said, politics have no bearing on movies, music, etc. that I enjoy regardless of the celebrity in question.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems that we love to put people up on a pedestal, so we can knock them down. Famous celebrities are only normal people, who wear make-up.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree ith you, completely. The problem is convincing the celebrities of this. They seem to consider themselves larger than life.

Brittany Houser likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Okay Diane, I do see your point, but I also believe you might be missing something. If you found out that your best friend donated money to a movement you do not believe in, would you relinquish your friendship? If your pastor was found in the campaign office of a rival politician to one of your liking would you find another church? My wife and I differ on a lot of issues but I will not give her up because of her opinions.

The only thing different between the celebrities and the examples I gave in the above query is the amount of hype that the person in question gets. I may not necessarily like everything the NRA backs but I dern sure am not going to stop seeing Moses again because Charlton Heston was the president of the NRA.
    Everyone is entitled to what they personally believe in, but an actor is an actor. Most of the time, I do believe, some actors get Paid to say what they say on behalf of a particular candidate.
    Given enough money, would you consider, just consider even a little bit, saying something good about a wayward candidate in front of a CNN camera? No, you best say nada. Somebody you may know might see it and not want to go to tea again with you.

Jennifer Graves likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

If I truly believe they were a danger to my country (as I stated above), and/or they denigrated my country or beliefs, yes, I would cut them off. If they simply had differing political beliefs (as you stated above), which many of my friends, and even some loved ones do, then no.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I hate to say this, but celebrity views mean nothing to me, but if my husband had been republican I would not have married him. Its such a big deal to me. So much so that I need the option of going home or hanging up the phone when a serious debate breaks out. If you're married to the person you're fighting with, getting away isn't quite so easy.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Okay, now that this thread is back on track, let me do my own segue, hahahaaa.

Over here, popular actors are pulled into politics for their popularity. That's the main flaw of democracy in choosing its leader - popularity is the name of the game. Like in the US, we also had one action star who became president for a short while (he was ousted by a people power movement). And since election is getting near, just less than a year, popular actors are now being wooed by political parties.

Back to the topic, some actors lose their popularity when they get married or when they get involved in scandals. But with their political affiliation? I don't think that is material to the movie goers over here, they patronize movies because of the movie itself.

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the same is often true over here, too.

9. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I remember it was a big deal when the Baldwins announced they would leave if Bush one. I also remember the Dixie Chicks being ostracized over the remark that they were embarrassed to be American.

10. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, I don't really get why celebrities have such a huge following. I mean, they're just people; entertainers. I don't really feel the need to know every single aspect of Kim Kardashian's life! I also don't know why people get upset and worked up over their favorite celebrity's political and/or religious views. People went bonkers when Tom Cruise said he was a Scientologist.

It's a crazy world out there.

11. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Even worst than worse, those outspoken celebs many times have nothing in common with candidates they are endorsing.

I don't see Kim Kardashian living in a democratic way at all. She is not precisely known by supporting the poor nor doing any activity linked with a democratic behavior.

Of course, from Kim Kardashian we can expect whatever, being herself a spotlight-hungry celebrity.

12. Jennifer Graves

Registered

If Kim Kardashian is supporting a democrat, it was likely a ploy by the republicans to steal votes from all the liberals so disgusted by her and her family, they could never bring themselves to vote the same way as her.