Portable Oxygen Concentrators

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

If a person is in excellent health and used a portable oxygen concentrator just for fun, would it harm the oxygen balance in their system? Would they get a "supercharged oxygen" high?

I know there are "Oxygen Bars" you can go to to "snort" O2.

Harry

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Frank Sanoica and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are way too many pro’s and con’s for me to mess with it.
    Several studies say that breathing O2 can help with injuries and even works as an anti-aging agent but alas, the more dynamic studies include what it does to the human brain. Not good, not good at all. Makes me think of the calf brains and scrambled eggs I used to have on Sunday mornings with dad.
    If a person has had too much alcohol, it will certainly sober that person up but on the other hand, it burns up a person’s lungs as well.
    I know that many athletes use the stuff in order to prolong muscular endurance but again, with prolonged use the damage to the rest of the nervous system is nearly irreparable.

Bottom line: Do what you wish but you might ask your doctor about it first or......not. You’re old enough to do the research and google is only a tap away.

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Did you want a buzz or do you have a nifty pool ideal?
    images (97).jpeg

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

It might. These things have settings; 1, 2, 3, 4, some go up to 6. Your body will only assimilate so much.
    We now know any amount above the five setting interacts with the molecules in the brain and can cause
    severe problems like blood leakage or damage to brain cells. When people are put on oxygen they are
    given a setting of two or three. You can take in too much oxygen at night if you go over your setting,
    making it difficult to sleep. One should know oxygen and oxygen settings are not something to play with.
    And one should not smoke while using oxygen or should not cook while using oxygen. That from the Veterans
    Administration, the largest Research organization in the world. Why? How? Because they have a captive
    audience.

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

This sounds like an idea to forget!

Hal

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    I recall reading that breathing pure O2 for any extended length of time was seriously harmful. When I got my Oxygen/Acetylene welding set, I inhaled a full breath of pure oxygen once, and found I could hold that breath 4 or 5 minutes. Then I realized what a damned fool thing that was to do! Almost anything could be suspended in the tank, with rust particles being likely. Never did it again.

Which brings up one of my imponderables which you may be able to help with. I see older folks often with an oxygen tube in their nostrils, carrying about a small, lunch-box sized black bag or box. Obviously not a compressed oxygen cylinder, so what is going on? A tiny compressor forcing ambient air into their lungs?

Frank

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think that type of concentrator is what @Hal Pollner was posting about. It simply concentrates the oxygen in the air to a higher concentration. We had a patient in hospice who set his face on fire trying to smoke while using a concentrator---ugly!

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

There is no such thing as Perfect health.
    Good health, maybe. Want a buzz ...make a brownie laced with pot...got your buzz and only side effect... Munchies and sleep y:D:p

Hal Pollner and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Gloria...where do you get those "Pot-Laced" Brownies?:p

Howl

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Hal Pollner
    And given today's Mary-jane permissiveness, it's hard to imagine Robert Mitchum's career was nearly ruined by his having been caught with the stuff.
    Frank

Bess Barber likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

In one large study the VA found the earlier a person with an oxygen deficiency
    goes on oxygen, 24/7, the longer patients live.

Yvonne Smith and Bess Barber like this.
  12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I had to be one of the few teenagers in the word who couldn't smoke pot. It made me really sick. I couldn't even be in a room where anyone else was smoking it. My children did not inherit that particular trait. :D

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Registered

It didn't make me sick.

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    I cannot for the life of me deduce how the 20% / 80% Oxygen to Nitrogen mix could be separated, thus concentrating the Oxygen percentage, while achieving this in a lunchbox-sized package.
    Frank

15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bess Barber
    A co-worker asked me over, to join the group passing around a joint. I had never smoked a single puff of smoke into my lungs intentionally before that. When I tried, two things became immediately apparent: My nose and throat burned like hell, and after waiting and waiting, felt no effect at all from the stuff. That was that.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.