Positive Or Negative

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Martin Alonzo, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

In a given situation, I think it always depends on the mood of the person. Well, I'm talking about myself on that. When I am in a bad mood, I may speak negative and the opposite when I am euphoric. In the same vein, when I hear something, it is processed by my mind depending on my mood. So a simple statement of "What?" can be misconstrued as a negative or positive relative to where I'm coming from.

But I agree with people who wanted to be positive at all times. I also believe that we were born to enjoy life so why not enjoy it? And how could we enjoy life if negative thoughts are always with us?

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

What?

Brittany Houser and Corie Henson like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Hahaha that reminded me of so many comic strips over the years about typical female behavior. I had to laugh when I read this, because I'm the same way. One of my closest friends is almost always positive, and doesn't want to think about the negative, but sometimes that's necessary. It's always a shock when that particular friend snaps at something innocuous. That's when I know things are bad. When I get to the point of snapping at something really minor, I will remove myself from the situation. Often, a nice walk in nature will help. On my rough days, sometimes just sitting on the balcony in the sun will help. Being out in nature does tend to dissipate my anger and stress somewhat, especially when the weather is nice, and the birds are chirping.

4. Corie Henson

Registered

My husband is a cool person in terms of temper. Mr. Cool is his moniker in the office because his colleagues have not seen his temper. So when there is a situation that needed cooler heads, he is the first one to be called to handle the crisis. His colleagues tell me that my husband's demeanor in situations is assuring and giving them confidence. An example is during an earthquake where panic is common but the officemates were calm upon hearing the voice of my husband telling them to go under the tables.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why I am happy with my life because my husband is a positive guy. In our office, most of my colleagues are the opposite, they seem to sow negative vibes hence I try to shielf myself by ignoring some of their statements.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

@Corie Henson Being around someone calm and self-assured is definitely helpful during a crisis. It sounds as if there's some stress and negativity involved with your job, so it's nice that you get to leave that behind and go away occasionally, as well as doing things such as gardening.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Registered

Yes, my job is very stressful. When I was promoted as a vice president, I was so proud and I thought it is heaven. But now I am having a hard time coping with the problems related to the position. I used to have 90 people under me but now I have a little over 50. My boss is helping me so he lessened the units under me. What's getting into my nerves are the blaming game of my peers - we are 8 vice presidents under our head who is a senior vice president. I wonder why there is an atmosphere of competition that is a dog-eat-dog environment. There are times I'm wishing to retire but what would happen to our finances? I still have 7 more years before I reach the retirement age.

My husband would always tell me to enjoy my position - not anybody can be vice president, he would tell me time and time again. And I believe him when he says I should be proud. So my present position is a blessing or a curse, depending on how you look at it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

Well, I'm sure the money is helpful. Usually when there are such issues in a workplace, it's a result of failed leadership at the top. Perhaps the president enjoys having his underlings jockeying for position. Stress management can make a huge difference, once you learn techniques that work for you, and employ them on a regular basis. What would happen if you did retire or leave for a position elsewhere? Would you be able to find a similar job? Would y'all be able to survive? Sometimes it's not worth it, if the stress is taking a toll on your health, but only you can decide that.

8. Corie Henson

Registered

@Diane Lane, If I would resign today, I would be getting 54 months of my salary for my 27 years of service in the company. But that 54 months may last for just 10 years or so. That shows resignation now is not a good option. I am hypertensive and usually my blood pressure would be high when I am in a meeting. Fortunately I have my maintenance medication for that. But the stress in the workplace is really taking its toll on me.

Last night we were in the mall to watch a local movie. While waiting for the movie to start, my husband said he would buy a lotto ticket that he wants to win so I can retire now. That means the stress is very evident and even if I was not telling my husband about the unbearable pressure at work, he surely knows.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

@Corie Henson It's a shame when stress takes a toll on health. I've had jobs like that, where I dreaded going to work every day. Sundays were the worst, I would feel sick all afternoon as I was preparing my clothing for the week, and thinking about the drama in the workplace. It's often not the work itself, as much as the lack of leadership, and negativity in the workplace that causes the issues.

Corie Henson likes this.
  10. Corie Henson

Registered

Let me inject a bit of fresh air here. My husband is the philantrophist in their office. It is hard to believe that during Christmas, everyone is awaiting for my husband's gift to them. And a gift-giver is a rare bird in their office because even the boss does not give Christmas gifts although they are all believers of Christmas. Every year, we would shop in the duty free and compose a bag full of imported goods (mostly American goods) like biscuits and chocolates plus other items. One bag costs more than $20 and we would need to come up with about 15 of those bags.

On a positive note, my husband would always reason out that he feels so lucky because we are blessed with our finances while those poor people in their office are really poor in faith and in the pocket as well. So that's a whiff of positive that my husband is trying to share with his colleagues.

11. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Many times this is the only we can do, give away for personal satisfaction and to thank life for what we receive.

Go figure if your hubby would hold hard feeling for not receiving anything from his colleagues and boss. I think he's doing the right thing by doing this.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Good idea about the saying! I'd say sure and I deserve nothing but the best in life! :p Life has it's unexpectedness that can turn into happiness if we want it too. You are so right it's all in the way you take things.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Whether a person has a negative or positive personality can also depend on what's happening in that person's life at the time. Some men and women have very negative feelings about the opposite sex due to a really bad divorce or relationship breakup. We had a female neighbor that generally didn't have a good thing to say about men. Her husband lived in another State (due to work) and they had owned a nice center-counsel fishing boat that, after one time out in it for her, she hated it. I talked to her a few times, then got tired of her bad-mouthing men and told her about it (in a semi kidding, but serious way). We never talked again and I was fine with that.

I can get pretty negative about someone who puts down/bad-mouths marriage. I love being married and have been thru one Annulment and a divorce in my mid late 20's.

But, like I said on my last posting, I'm pretty level when it comes to being negative and/or positive. I'm a "realistic" type person and can see both ways.