Positives In Retirement And Aging

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Retiring results as part of aging, so they are intertwined. Complex statement. But many folks yearn to retire, for sure, but surely do not yearn to age. That's the enigma. Ya work till you retire, then ya die. Not my brand of enjoyable pastime.

The negatives? Reduced income, less economic security, close friends gradually becoming fewer (if you outlive them!), failing health (eyesight, hearing [especially], physical ability, hair loss (maybe happened 20 years ago), chew on a nice thick steak?; dream on. loss of, er.....sexual appetite, seemingly never....., ability to read fine print....did you see it?

The positives? Few. Think about seeing yer "maker" sooner than ya though possible. Wonderment at how high and palatial the Pearly Gates must be! Experience that grand feeling of the kids suddenly receiving an unexpected stipend. Dream on. They've been wringing their hands for decades.

Only thing troubling me at the moment, and I asked my wife today: I've acquired over a lifetime, an ability to work with, work on, work over, overwork, almost anything. When I croak, having had no kids to pass it on to, it all disappears with my carcass. Might I post an ad at the Community College, a Technically oriented school, offering tutoring in Science: Math, Physics, Skilled Trades? I'm brimming over with that stuff, no Humanities, History, Philosophy and such, just the stuff always most difficult for young adult students.

I feel I could do some last worthwhile service to young folks if possible. Or, am I getting senile?
    Frank

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I notice the 'positives' are in small lettering - I think you need to be more positive Frank :p

Yvonne Smith and Sheldon Scott like this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

The failing health and ability are the only negative I have that are on your list. I am better off financially than I've ever been. By the time they retire most people have a house that's paid for and no debts. No longer spending a lot for gas because you don't have a daily commute.

My physical are greatly reduced, especially this past year or two, but I still have all my hair and all my teeth except the one implant I got a couple of years ago. That steak sounds good.

Most importantly I still have my intellect and so do you Frank. Losing one mind Is, I think, the scariest part of aging. I hope that never happens.

So, as Patsy said, put the positives in large bold letters and deal with the negatives as they come along.

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was younger, one thing I really never thought about was retirement. My hourly salary was just too low to be able to save in any kind of retirement fund. The "low wages" came from not having a college degree and/or certification in the areas I worked. OTOH, my wife made a good salary, before and after I met her, and was able to save. She was told that if she was to get a Bachelor's Degree, she would definitely make better money than not having one. That turned out to be true. She got it when she was 49 and also has two AA Degrees.

We both have a full head of hair and color our hair. Actually, I only color my temples and mustache. Our health is ok; definitely not the worst, but not the best either. Ageing is there for us with the aches/pains that we can/do get, but not something we really worry about. My wife tells me that my memory is excellent. I tell her, "yellow sticky-notes" definitely help....LOL. We are both Diabetic II. We don't have children, so don't worry about anything dealing with that.

Once my wife does retire, or semi-retires, we will be on a pretty stiff budget, but our finances will be helped by not having two vehicles. Food coupons/discounts will help with that lower income as well. Another thing, power boating in Colorado (Eastern Slope/Front Range) is much cheaper than in Florida.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica - I hope you were able to follow up on your idea of volunteer tutoring at a local college, as that would be a wonderful assistance to students. I used to tutor international pre-med students who perhaps had enough English to get around but had no exposure to the technical terminology of anatomy & physiology, etc. It was interesting for me and good for them to have someone to learn from and practice with. It is great to share what one knows, and the need is definitely there in the science subjects in which you have your life experience and expertise.

Frank Sanoica likes this.