Pots And Pans

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kitty Carmel, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

For years I had one cooking pot. Then about 20 years ago I bought two Revere Ware pots at Kmart. A small one and a larger one. Well I wish I had bought more! They were made in the USA and of coarse they are not anymore.

I've found some good buys at the thrift store in the last year. A large Revere Ware pot with lid that I only use for potatoes an two stainless steel frying pans. The smaller has a lid. I haven't used them yet. All USA made. I paid I think 4-6 dollars each so they were a good buy and are almost like new.

I wish I had some more smaller pots. I wanted to cook oatmeal this morning but my small pot is in the dishwasher and my obsession with water savings and drought traumatization won't let me wash it by hand. I need a couple of small pots and nice USA made vintage cookware is not easy to find in the thrift stores. What I found were lucky finds. I may look at All Clad but $$$$$

What is everyone else using? I try to buy as little as possible China stuff especially for cooking.

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife had a couple of old CLUB ALUMINUM pots that we liked and used often. I searched online and found some on ebay.

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess coming from poor people you tend to learn all sorts of money saving ways. I know I did. As far as pots and pans go, I have all of my grandmother cast iron ware. I have a 15", 12", 9", and 6" skillet that are my go to besties. As far as pots go I have her set of 5 Lodge enameled cast iron ware. Chips and all, I still love them.

My husband bought me a couple sets of pots and pans, but I never really got the hang of cooking in such light cookware. It seemed like I was continuously burning something. So I ended up giving the new sets to family members.

I don't know what will happen to my pots and pans after I'm gone. Young people today want new products. I admit my old cookware is pretty heavy, and now I have to use both hands to lift them.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I've thought of looking on Ebay or Etsy. I'm usually patient with finding things but I could use these now. I looked for a year before I found a needed larger lamp for my bedroom. Found a great one at PAWS for 10 dollars.

5. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder My mother had two cast iron frying pans that are older than me. My step dad has them now. I would never myself keep them though. I can remember my mother in a rage throwing one of off the stove contents and all. I wouldn't want to use them.

I wouldn't mind having a nice cast iron pan though and from what I've heard the old ones are much better than what is purchased today.

6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Kitty, that is a bad memory, so I can understand. She must have been a strong women. Even in my youth I couldn't have slung anything over my 9" skillet. Cast iron is so heavy. I've even gotten to where I ask my grown grandson to move my 1&1/2 or 2 gallon cast pots. :oops:

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We use cast iron. A few years ago, my wife sold a large collection of cast iron cookware for someone, so we were able to keep the ones that were usable but not so collectible. We have a few sizes of skillets, both shallow and deep, a couple of griddles, grill pans, and a large (and very heavy) dutch oven, which we haven't used yet. I much prefer using cast iron, as it's so much easier to regulate.

Frank Sanoica and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Now your cooken @Ken Anderson , try making a cobbler in your Dutch oven. Mmmmm!!! :)

9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder Thank you Ina. It was too much information but it's the truth, though I probably shouldn't have posted it.

Anyway, I'm looking at ordering an All Clad small pot. I was looking at Williams Sonoma. I'm not much of a cook but lots of fun things to look at on that web site. I'm hoping once I'm not working full time, I'll cook a little more.

10. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Kitty Carmel , sometimes bad memories just pop into our minds at the most inappropriate opportunity. And, this is a good place to unload them. I find that once I let some of mine out, I generally feel better.

I don't know if you have store outlets up in Canada, and although they are all over this part of Texas, few people avail themselves of them. But if you do have them in your immediate area, try googling "pots and pans outlets". I have cut my cost down by much as 75% by buying in this fashion. That should cut your shopping time down, and then all you'll have to do is go to local outlet and pick it up. :)

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought that @Kitty Carmel was in California ? They should have lots of store outlets down there, I would think.
    My mom cooked with cast iron skillets when we went fishing and camping. That was always a favorite thing for me, so my memories of cast iron pans are good ones, fresh trout sizzling over the campfire, and potato salad on the side.
    At home, she had Revereware, stainless steel with the copper bottoms; so I dearly love those, too. I have a cheap set of stainless steel pans that I found on Amazon that I like to use because it reminds me of my mother; but other than that, our pans are just a thrift store mixture.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  12. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder Thank you for your kind words. I am in California. I'm not in a city area, I live in a large town. I'll look into outlets.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I do have them.

My wok shape hardly used will go to PAWS. My larger fry pan is ready for the trash. Will keep the small one as back up. But after scoring two vintage Revere Ware stainless fry pans, 10 dollars total, at the thrift shop I'm ready to stop using the non stick. Cooking and clean up is a little different but I don't want to use those non stick anymore.

Now my cookie sheet has to go and I have one loaf pan also I have hardly used.

Stainless cookie sheets are hard to find and expensive but I'm ready to put the money out.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    Please, why the concern over non-stick? True, Teflon and other non-stick coatings have earned a dubious reputation, healthwise. However, I recently picked up a ceramic coated skillet which is absolutely marvelous! I think the ability to apply ceramic material to an aluminum surface is a fairly new breakthrough. The commonest ceramic material used for knives and cookware is Zirconia, an extremely hard and tough temperature-resistant material which is completely safe. We often think of Porcelain as "ceramic"; maybe it is. Frank

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

IMO, you can't beat cast iron frying pans.