Prankster Pranks His Own Funeral

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Bobby Cole, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Let’s face it, funerals are not fun. I played taps in a military honor guard for around 30 deceased soldiers, have presided over a couple of burials and also lead my dad’s memorial service. Not fun, not fun at all.

But, there are those who would rather a funeral be a bit of fun as it is in the link provided. A life long practical joker decided to leave behind a “special” surprise in the form of a recording that was to be played whilst they lowered his casket into the ground.

Beware, there’s a bit of language but considering the circumstances, it might be fitting.

https://www.insider.com/shay-bradley-pranked-his-funeral-with-recorded-message-2019-10

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

An old Irishman, Paddy, is about to go to his eternal reward. He looks at his grieving friend, Angus, and says, “I have one last request, Angus.”

“Anything, Paddy,” Angus says. “What is it?”

“In me kitchen pantry you’ll find a 100- year-old bottle of whiskey. When they put me in the ground I want you to pour it over me grave!

So when Paddy passed, a few days later, Angus, true to his word did as his friend requested.......adding "He didna' say I couldna' drink it first"!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I like the idea of a light hearted funeral - I haven't decide yet whether to have 'Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye' played
    or - my favourite - 'That's Life' but as that's me party piece, I can see meself alighting from the box and strutting down the aisle
    while I belt it out !
    :p :p

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw that story a couple of days ago, @Bobby Cole . I imagine that guy was a lot of fun in his day. :D

Personally I don't want any fanfare when I die; no "viewing", no memorial, no graveside service since there won't be a grave. I think typical funerals are such a downer and a waste of money. I will be cremated without so much as a newspaper notice and life will go on for others.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's funny.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Beth Gallagher - same here - I was just kidding above, I'm going 'straight there' before anyone even knows about it

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw that a couple of days ago Bobby... I might sound like a bit of a grouch, but honestly I would hate to be at a funeral where that happened..and believe me as part Irish, I get the humour, but it kinda freaked me out...

8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Our family has a burial plot, but we had a meeting and agreed none of us wanted anything beyond a graveside service....for the least amount of money. People spend so much on these things. My parents wish to be cremated, my brother and I aren't sure. Whatever is easier on the family left. My husband choose to have his ashes buried in Wisconsin on their burial plots. I think the whole thing is easier when such a big deal isn't made out of it. It's not as though the person who died knows the difference.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

@Bobby Cole I love this story!! It sounds like something my youngest son would do.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with @Holly Saunders . I think it was horrible. Not funny at all. Imagine if you were there mourning the loss of a dear friend or relative and heard that. I think it would give me a heart attack. And possibly nightmares for weeks.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

Yeah, but it was the person who actually died. Maybe he wanted to be remembered for the way he made people laugh. If the prank reminded me fondly of the person, I don't think I would mind at all. It's like a last nod at their personality.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If he was the kind of person who played that kind of prank of unsuspecting people, I don't think I'd remember him fondly.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If the man was best known for his sense of humor throughout his life, I see no wrong in him trying to make people laugh at least once more at one of his gags even after he died.

When the tape began, people raised their heads and stopped crying and morning and started laughing. They didn’t laugh at the deceased, but laughed as though he was still there among them which, I truly believe the prankster was trying to achieve. People wouldn’t be leaving the burial site wailing and crying but laughing at what he had done at his own funeral.
    Folks would still miss him (maybe) but whilst missing him they will always be talking about the tape and laughing at it for numerous years to come.

It’s probably not something I would do nor even think of doing because the folks who know me know that I am by no means a laugh a minute kind of guy nor are the people I know.
    He knew those who loved him and they knew him. To be sure, I, nor Holly nor Shirley nor a few other people would have even been invited. He knew what he was doing and I think he did it well.

Sounds to me like he didn’t fear his own death, but relished his last moments knowing what would transpire.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

And they will talk about that funeral for years.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

If I were to have a 'proper' funeral, I would want it to be light hearted, there's enough drama in this life and humour
    would certainly take away a lot of angst for those left behind