Preparing For Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson hope you are feeling better today. Also have you checked your head for cuts or bumps maybe both?

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Tuesday check in to see how you're doing @Ken Anderson. Head injuries can be scary, as you well know. I hope there are no aftereffects, and that by now your headache has eased. I worry about my mom up in Massachusetts in the Winters, because of the ice. Falls can be dangerous at any age, but more so of course when older, with the increased worry about broken hips and such.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My head still hurts, but then I have been having periodic headaches, possibly due to my medication, so I don't know if it's related to the fall or not.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's right, I remember reading about that. I hope they either ease up or your doctor can figure out the cause. As long as you don't have any other issues from the fall, the headaches, if from the fall, should resolve soon.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

1. We had our first major snow last night, a four inch job. Fortunately we were winterized as the temp slip down to 13. We wrap our outside pipes, cover our facets, open inside cabinet doors at night. We turn our thermostat down to 69 at night, 73 in daytime, wear warm clothes inside, if necessary. We don't shovel snow. It generally melts over day for two. Those of you who live in really cold weather need to watch your step outside. Falling weather makes it slippery. Hope you have no lingering problems, Ken. Everyone stay warm.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

This has been the worst winter we've had since I've been here, as far as difficulties are concerned. Oh, it hasn't been overly cold and we haven't had any huge snowstorms but we have also not had a melt-off after the initial snow covering, and the ground is covered with layers of ice that are difficult to work with. Snow and ice is accumulating on our metal roof too, which doesn't usually occur.

Until a couple of years ago, we didn't even have studded tires, and there were a couple of years when I used the same tires in the winter that I had used in the summer, and we didn't have the kind of trouble we've had this winter. Even with studded tires, my car gets stuck just on the ice itself. My Tracker was stuck in what appeared to be nothing for two days. Then today, I got my wife's car stuck in our driveway backing it in. With studded tires and a new snowblower, this winter is still proving to be more difficult than previous ones. Where is Algore when I need him?

It didn't help that I had spent a large part of two days clearing a nice turn around space in the back of our house only to have the guy who we hired to shovel some of the snow from our roof simply push it down onto the driveway, effectively moving it from one place to another, so I have to clear the driveway all over again, despite the fact that we've had no additional snow.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Reading your posts sure makes me glad that I do not live in Idaho any more, @Ken Anderson ! When I lived there, each winter, I had four studded snow tires that i put on the little Mazda pickup, and then I also had to put a weight in the back and over the rear axle of about 200 lbs to stabilize the pickup weight. I used bags of grain or sometimes sandbags if I had those, and sometimes a couple heavy bales of alfalfa (although that took up a whole lot of room in the back), and even then, I had to worry about slipping around or getting stuck . With the studded tires and the weight in the back, I was able to travel most of the time, but when there is an ice coating, then everything is slick.
    It is cold here today as well, and we were supposed to get some snow. So far, that has not happened (thank goodness), but it is in the 20's and a wind chill that is in the low teens, and going to be close to zero wind chill overnight. We will be leaving the water in the kitchen running just a little and the cabinet doors below the sink open, just to be safe.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My own "swan dive" took place off my workbench in MO two weeks before we were to leave to spend the winter in AZ, in Nov. 2010. Wife took me to town, conscious, but babbling, cop had ambulance waiting, after pleading forgiveness of the lady EMT, knowing she would cut off my trousers, for not having underwear! My wife heard that dialogue. You bet others did later......

They slid me into a waiting chopper, flew me 180 miles to Columbia, whose hospital performed the exact diagnostics available at our local hospital, 2 miles from the ambulance pick-up point. Next day, my wife came up to take me home, no concussion, picked up even my cut-through pants! We left for AZ as planned. Frank

9. Yvonne Smith

I am starting to get concerned. We have not seen @Ken Anderson on the forum since Friday night, and that seems strange to me. Even when he and @Michelle Anderson are traveling, they usually let us know that they will be on the road and checking in with us from time to time, but not as often as usual.
    I can't think of any time when they have been gone for this many days without letting the rest of us know. I am hoping that both of them are fine, and just busy; but lets just keep them both in our prayers in case that fall and head injury did turn out to be more serious than Ken thought it was, or there was more problems with the Synthroid....... or whatever.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

I'm around, but have been busy working outside, trying to clear things up and unstick cars from the ice, as well as doing my regular work. I was in the forum Saturday a couple of times, but I may not have posted. Plus, I've been sleeping later than usual for some reason. Sore and tired, I guess.

01082017-weather.png
    I include the St. Agatha readings because that's where our camp is, and I like to see the differences in the weather there. This is the coldest day we've had so far this winter, but it's supposed to be near 40 degrees and raining Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Tuesday night looks messy.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

They are saying that there is one of those polar vortex things coming clear across the United States, bringing lots of snow up north and maybe more bad rains and flooding in the southern states.
    I know that they are grumbling out in idaho and Washington where my family lives because of dealing with all of the snow. Peopl have to have their driveways plowed out, and even the snow plows are going off the road or breaking down out there.
    My son was saying that his snow is so deep that he can't plow it with the snow blade on his four-wheeler anymore, and he is thinking that he will have to get a snow blade put on his big 4x4 truck to plow his driveway.
    If this does come through, our members here who live in snow areas will probably get more snow this week. Hopefully, no more bad floods in the South like happened in Louisiana last year !

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

There was some snow here where I live through the night not much though. Time to make an early trip to Koger.

13. Ken Anderson

THIS is a snowblower.

vintage-snowblower.jpg

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Predecessor to the steam locomotive rotary plow, below.

[​IMG]