President Trump Signed A Bill To Lower Prescription Costs In The Us!

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had heard about this, but I had not really looked to see what was happening with it. Then today, I saw a little blurb saying that the United States is no longer going to be subsidizing the socialized healthcare from places like Canada and Germany.
    I had NO idea that we even were subsidizing their healthcare, and looked for a better explanation for this. I am linking to an article that explains everything a lot better than I am doing, but here is what I got out of it.

America pays the full cost of getting patented drugs, and the countries who give their healthcare away, do not pay any of that cost; so basically it is like riding a bus and only a few people pay for the full fare amount and the rest ride free.
    How can that be ?
    Apparently, there is something called “compulsory licensing”, which literally forces the drug company to either give the product away, or sell it very cheaply.
    It looks to me like it works similar to the “eminent domain” law, which means that if the government wants to build a road through your house, they offer you a price for the property, and if you refuse, then they just take the property, using the right of eminent domain.

Here is the link to the article that explains fully how this works. Now , Americans should be paying better prices for our medical needs for patented drugs.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...g_europe_and_canadas_prescription_drugs.html#!

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Here is the next thing that is happening with prescription costs.
    As we all know, most of the medication that we get now comes from China, and especially after going through this china-virus, our aim needs to be to start making our own prescriptions again.

For people who have money to invest, here is some interesting news !
    President Trump said that the government has loaned money to the Kodak company to start manufacturing prescription drugs. We have all known Kodak as the go-to place for camera film for as many years as I can even remember; but after digital photos and cameras became so popular, most people no longer have a camera that uses film.
    Some photographers with special cameras might still use film, but not the everyday person anymore; so this will bring new life into an old American company, and give us a start at manufacturing our own drugs again.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/28/kodak-to-make-drug-ingredients-with-765-million-federal-loan/

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

In many cases, we're subsidizing the development of the medication, to begin with, yet Americans have been paying the full price while everyone else gets a free ride on our backs, even while they gloat about how they don't have to pay for their medications.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe I'm a lucky one, but my generic prescriptions are only a few dollars, but perhaps my insurance has something to do with that too.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Unless it's some type of emergency, when I don't use the VA, I get my regular meds from the VA. I pay a co-pay, but that should end as soon as we can do a Means Test for income. We have Humana Walmart for a drug plan, but sure would like to end that plan. Medication coverage with them is pretty high cost for us.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I pay almost nothing for my meds, but that's because of my Medicare Advantage Plan. It wasn't so cheap when I was uninsured.

Ron Simpson likes this.
  7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I pay a co-pay on one med only because everything else is generic. My advantage plan pays for everything else

Ron Simpson likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

And he's trying to make them pay for their own national defense.

Now, I'm vcetain prior administrations had valid ra
    Just like defense, huh?

9. Yvonne Smith

This is one of the things that Biden has reversed already, and it is only his second day in office ! The reduced prices are going back up to what they were before President Trump had them lowered to help Americans out. Since some of these drugs come from China, it is easy to see who benefits from the prices being raised again, and who will suffer because of it.

Ron Simpson likes this.