Purchased Old Apple Macintosh Computer!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sorry for stealing your thread title, @Hal Pollner , but I just could not resist.
    Anyway, today, I traded an iPad Mini for an older iMac computer, and both Bobby and I have been getting it set up, now I am updating the operating system to the newest OS X that it will upgrade to, which is the El Capitan edition.
    That is still an older system, but since I don’t do anything but really basic stuff on a computer, it will meet all my needs.
    Mainly, I want to be able to connect with iTunes and sync the iPads and iPhone, but since it has the large screen, it will be good for watching YouTube videos, or just anything that needs much typing.

B06A3E26-727A-4C84-BDED-EDB0FA481BC0.jpeg

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Actually, I didn’t do much of anything. There were problems with getting the upgrade and it was mostly Yvonne who finally figured out why the old computer wasn’t doing what it was supposed to do. New computers are easy but the old ones are kinda cranky and need some special knowledge and care.
    I digress.
    After bringing the IMac into submission, she sat up till past midnight babying the upgrade process until alas, it works and all without a degree in engineering or going to a computer school. :)

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My iMac is obsolete, in that it won't upgrade to the latest macOS. However, I have programs on that computer that are not available anymore, largely because there is a trend now where software is in the cloud, and not available for purchase. If continued, people will have to pay monthly fees for every program that they use.

I was thinking of creating some online trivia quizzes. I have a couple of programs on my iMac that do that quite well, so I was going to download them to my MacBook as well, but I found they are no longer available for purchase, only through a succession of monthly rate plans. I might keep my iMac for a while.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds good to me, Yvonne! I still have an original iPad, that hasn't had an iOS upgrade in several years. It never misses a beat though it is way past obsolete. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

The newest version of OS X that my old iMac can run is El Capitan , and that at least brought it up to date enough that I can connect to iTunes properly, and integrate my Apple ID account with the iPads and the iMac .
    So far, I like it, and I really like the large screen size because I can see things on the computer easier than on the iPad, although I still prefer using one of my iPads for just about everything that I do online.
    Since the iMac is so old as to be a dinosaur computer, I have named it “Macosaurus” .
    I am envious of Bobby’s newer (and larger) iMac ; but actually, this one will do everything that I need it to do.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

I ordered a pretty pink mouse and keyboard set for Macosaurus, and it just came today. Since I have the Magic Mouse (which I stole from Mr. Bobby), I will just keep the little pink mouse as a spare, and use the nice Apple mouse.
    I have the screensaver set up to use all of my photos from the photo albums , and I am enjoying watching it scroll though those as I am here writing with my ipad.

FED1F58C-E208-4302-86A3-D335768D8E10.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yup, that’s a mighty purdy keyboard and it does fit right in there with Yvonne’s new Hawaiian themed mouse pad.
    It’s certainly a great addition to her arsenal. Pretty lady, pretty keyboard..........but.........

WAIT till Monday when MY new Steam Punk keyboard makes the scene!! I can’t afford the nice retro keyboard I really want but the Steam Punk is the next best thing! I think its even suppose to sound like a typewriter.
    BWAHAHAHA.........!

C5D3D0F1-5EDA-4610-876D-DF4B5C6A1E16.jpeg

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

I have found that I do not use the iMac for anything, and it takes up way too much room on my tiny desk; so my daughter Robin is going to take it and give it a home where it can be used and loved and appreciated.
    She has her MacBook and iPads, plus whatever she uses for work, so it is not like she actually needs another desktop, but she has room for it, and she enjoys them.
    She had given me a Dell All-in-One several years ago, which Bobby mostly used; but now he has his iMac and we sent the Dell back home with her. She is going to erase the Dell, and when she gets that done, she will bring it over for me to use. Since it is basically like a giant 18” tablet, as well as a computer, I think that I will enjoy using that better than I did my Macosaurus .

9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Yvonne Smith I have no particular computer information. I just wanted to welcome you back and say you were missed!! :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.