Question About Shrubs And Bushes

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Steve North, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't come on these gardening threads at all.
    My wife has the green thumb while I have the dirty thumb.. I have NO idea what I am doing out there, however I have a stupid question..
    My wife is always talking about this bush and that bush.. Then in the next breath she is talking about this shrub and that shrub..

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BUSH AND A SHRUB ????????????

I asked her and she told me to "not worry about it".......
    Well, I still don't know.....

Can someone on here PLEASE help me..
    At least the next time she talks about shrubs and bushes, I can sound intelligent and tell her what I know....

Thanks ......

K E Gordon and Von Jones like this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

My guess is that they are the same thing. Like a girl and a gal!;) Don't worry about it.

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's my take on this: A bush is a plant you have trimmed and shaped to your liking, while a shrub is left to grow in its natural way without any shaping up. :D Now that does not mean this is your wife's definition of a bush and a shrub.

And here's the dictionary definition of a bush and a shrub. @Steve North

Bush is a plant like small, thick tree with many low branches. Shrub is a small bush. (Oxford Dictionary)

Bush is a a plant with many small branches growing either directly from the ground or from a hard woody stem, giving the plant a rounded shape. Shrub is a large plant with a rounded shape formed from many small branches growing either directly from the ground or from a hard woody stem, grown in gardens. (Cambridge Dictionary)

Source(s):Oxford Dictionary.

Cambridge Dictionary: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Steve North

Registered

Thanks everyone..
    Now I am really more confused..

Babs Hunt and Von Jones like this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Take a nap, Steve....sounds like you're bushed!
    [​IMG]

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to agree with @Joe Riley. The term 'bush' is more commonly used especially in gardening as opposed to *shrub*. I haven't heard 'shrub' used in a very long time.

So when you hear 'shrub' used just think 'bush'.

Babs Hunt and Sheldon Scott like this.
  8. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks @Steve North for asking this question! I am not sure at all what kind of thumb I have, but I will be venturing out into my very neglected front yard in the next couple of weeks to begin the process of cleaning up and planting new things. My husband hates gardening and I'm not even sure if I like it, but I've been wanting to get in a garden for years.
    a
    If anyone has any tips for a newbie like me, please share. I need all the help I can get!

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Map the area you want to grow your garden(s). Direct sunlight or shade should determine the type of vegetable or flowers you plant there. I have five areas now in my backyard that I started four years ago. Some didn't take and most did. I've started container gardening too. Much easier to maintain when it comes to watering or getting some sun. I only plant flowers (perennials) that grow every year.

I didn't have a green thumb either but I learned through trial and error and reading gardening books and magazines.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well this thread is pretty enlightening. I didn't know the difference between the two. I think the words are used interchargeably by a lot of people. It is just one of the things that you can use. It is just one of the ways you can learn things fro these discussion boards. It can help to educate yourself actually.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you @Von Jones. Starting tomorrow...it will be in the mid 70's so I am ready to at least start pulling the weeds and getting the areas ready.

Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  12. Steve North

Registered

Lucky you Andie.. Still too cold up here to do anything..
    The ground is still frozen, but most of the snow is gone.. Still some small patches here and there..
    Generally we don't start gardening till the end of May and we don't put plants in the ground till the first week-end in June...

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We basically do the same thing that @Von Jones does. We have a large yard; but there are trees (huge old trees) all around the property, and the properties on all sides of us; so there are more shady areas than sunny ones.
    Right outside of the back door is a small area, which we call "the courtyard" and it gets sunlight most of the day. Unfortunately, that area was originally part of the driveway up to the old garage area that is now Bobby's workshop; so most of it has been well graveled, and it is almmost impossible to dig there.
    We use container gardening there, and also have been planting some raspberry bushes and other perennials where we are able to dig.
    The front yard gets morning sun; and we have been able to grow in some parts of that, as well, and then I put shade-loving plants in the areas under the trees where it is almost always shady.