Quiche With A Cheese Crust

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Diane Lane, May 16, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually just use the roll out or fold out pastry crusts when I make pies, quiches, etc., and so the crust on most of my dishes, whether they're sweet or savory, tastes the same. I have made pie crust in the past, and it usually comes out nice, but I decided to look around for a recipe for a crust specifically designed for quiche, and found this one that uses cheese in the crust. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/107297/cheesy-quiche-crust/

I am going to make the quiche as I usually do, in my quiche/tart pan, rather than a pie plate, but the size should be fine, because this crust recipe specifies it's for a 9" pan, and I've used that size crust in the quiche pan before. I'm going to make a sausage, red pepper, spinach and cheddar cheese quiche. I do everything in stages these days, and I've already got the butter for the crust all cut up and chilling in the fridge. I think I'll make a pot of coffee while I work on the crust. Since it has to pre-cook, I can pull the ingredients together while the crust is pre-cooking, then just toss it in the oven while I enjoy a cup of coffee.

K E Gordon likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Registered

The recipe only calls for 3/4 cup of flour, but if I use this recipe again, I'm going to add a bit more flour. I put it in the fridge for over 30 minute, and it was a bit stiff right out of the fridge, but then it softened up way too much. I had to squish it onto a large spatula to get it into the pan, and then I had to flatten it back out to the edges. Since it was soft, it was easy to work with, but I'd prefer it to be a bit more firm.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

I used a spinach quiche recipe inside of the cheese crust recipe. Both called for 375 degree oven, but the next time I make the quiche, I'll cut that back to 350. The top (cheese) and bottom (crust) were slightly overdone, but it still came out yummy and eating it feels healthy, despite all of the butter, milk, cheese, flour and eggs.

Here's the actual quiche filling recipe, but as I said, I'll adjust it down to 350 temperature next time.

SPINACH QUICHE
    Ingredients

Original recipe makes1 - 9 inch quiche

·

1/2 cup butter

·

3 cloves garlic, chopped

·

1 small onion, chopped

·

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

·

1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained

·

1 (6 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled

·

1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

·

salt and pepper to taste

·

1 (9 inch)unbaked deep dish pie crust

·

4 eggs, beaten

·

1 cup milk

·

salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.

4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Let us know how the cheese crust quiche comes out. I do love quiche. I tried to moderate the effect of the eggs, cheese and cream by omitting bacon, but putting something healthy like spinach or broccoli in. The last one I made wasn't that good, but I made one a few years ago that was fantastic. I wish I could remember where I got the recipe from. It was easily the best one I ever made.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

It came out pretty well @K E Gordon, but I will lower the temperature to 350 degrees if I use that recipe again. Both the crust recipe and filling recipe called for 375 degrees, but that was too high, in my opinion. The cheese on the top and also the crust got a little singed. Although it still tasted good to me, I had planned to share some with my neighbors, but I decided not to do that, since it was singed. If you find the recipe you made that came out really well, I'd love to have it.

6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I wish I could! I am sure I got it online, as that is where I get all my recipes these days. I just don't remember what site. I think it was about 5 years ago, that I made that particular one though. I bet I had it bookmarked on a computer I no longer have, and it was before google stopped transferring everything over. It could have been on Firefox too. Diane Lane, try the Big Oven site. I have it on an app on Kindle, but it is online as well. It has a lot of great recipes, and most of them are ranked as well. Imade Bourbon Chicken from there that was awesome. I love Big Oven on Kindle, because it has some great pics...Who doesn't like to look at scrumptious food pics?

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

I think I may have visited the site before. I typically go to Taste of Home, The Food Network, Kitchn, and All Recipes, but also find my recipes elsewhere, and also have a collection of personal recipes I've collected over the years and also cookbooks. I probably won't be making quiche again for a while, but I'll try to remember to look there when I do. I'll probably make another cranberry banana bread this week, because my bananas are getting soft, and I'll share that with my neighbors. I'll probably add coconut again, because my neighbors are also coconut fans.