Re: Online Jobs

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Janice Martin, Feb 12, 2017.

1. It seems there are quite a few seniors looking for info on online jobs. Would it be acceptable to have a thread here where we can post info on companies etc. that we're familiar with, so others can benefit from this information? It could help others know when there's something useful out there, and also what to avoid. Thought I should ask, rather than going ahead with it.

Ina I. Wonder and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Whether one thread, or multiple threads, one for each online job, I don't care. This is the right part of the forum for it.

Holly Saunders and Janice Martin like this.
  4. HIREWRITERS is one I'd definitely recommend.
    Like most companies, beginners start out on the lowest level- but all you need are a few good articles with good reviews, and you'll move up the scale to Skilled and Expert rather quickly.
    Work is not always plentiful, and the pay is low, but if you want to make a few extra dollars it's a good site.
    Payout minimum is $10, and they pay every Friday through Paypal.

IWRITER is one to avoid- unless you love aggravation.
    You can find complaints about this company all over the web. The staff 'turns the other way' and allows clients (known as requesters) to reject material without a reason, then go on to use the material without paying for it.
    They also have a scam they call 'Fast Track'- if you pay something like $147., you might become eligible for higher-paying work. What they don't tell you is they've developed a reputation for accepting this payment and then banning people's accounts- writers lose the $147, plus any money they've earned.

My personal beef is OMISSIONREPORT- you can find their website easily. While they don't seem to be asking for articles now, I've been waiting for payment on two articles one of their employees accepted well over three years ago. Seems they've moved on to 'newer, bigger' business ventures, and don't care if they've 'stiffed' writers on years-ago work.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin Interested, I am! Now, what might one with my rather limited abilities perform online worthy of being paid for it? Could I offer an online tutoring service for, say, high school math, doing so without any others' intervention? Legal? Maybe never receive "tuition"; would folks forward dough before the fact? How to do it? A blog? How do you start one? I am dismally PC illiterate.
    Frank

6. "Math. eww. " :confused:

Well, the best approach is to work through an established online company. It's legal to do it on your own, but you'd have to deal with all sorts of aggravations- and the possibility
    of not getting paid is one example. Here's one you might be interested in: http://www.tutor.com/apply/why-tutor-with-us/math-tutoring

As for starting a blog, there are plenty of options out there. If you want your own domain name, such as www.franksanoica.com, check out https://www.godaddy.com/.
    It only costs a couple of dollars.
    If you're not concerned about the URL, some of the free options include weebly, angelfire, and wordpress.
    Figuring you'd want to know the difference: it depends on your goal- if you want your site to be visible in the search engines, it's better to spend a couple of dollars to
    have your own domain name; it's extremely difficult to get one of the free options to show up in Google, etc.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin
    I see. Gradually, the fog clears as I work around the technical details in my head. I wondered how folks could be made aware of one's offering on-line without a whole bunch of advertising of some kind. Thanks for the help and suggestions. I will follow up on them.

BTW, how do you know all this stuff? o_O

Frank

8. I've been working online for more than 10 years. :)

Frank Sanoica likes this.