Reconnecting With Classmates

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Corie Henson, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We were in Hongkong last month when my husband received an email verifying if he is the same guy who studied in their elementary school. To make the story short, my husband got reconnected to 11 of his former grade school classmates. Although the reunion is slated for October of 2016, the reconnection has brought positive effects on my husband.

He regularly gets emails from his classmates and although mostly about reminiscings and recollection, they are updating each other on their situation. Most of those classmates are abroad and the internet is very helpful in communications. My husband said that he feels young whenever he would get an email from his classmates so I support him 100% on his new hobby.

2. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

How lovely my 50th. high school reunion was 2011, and it sure was fun. I flew from Ft. Myers to Chicago, then a (I call hoppers) small plane into Toledo,Oh. It was pouring down rain, but my rental car was set for me and the motel was just a couple of city blocks from the airport. When getting my keys to the room, There were 6 classmates registered at the same motel, 1 classmate flew the same hopper I did and was sitting back of me a couple of rows. His home is Montarray Calif. Of course none of us slept, and a real mess the next morning. Us women went to farmer's market to get cucumbers for our eyes. Trying to get ready for that evening the big dinner and party. Another classmate came in from Detroit Mich. stayed at the same motel. She's from Georgia. And will not change planes. It had to be direct flight from Georgia to Detroit, Mich. Someone from Toledo had to drive to Detroit to pick her up. Party time came, and we really had a nice turnout. One of my old flames seen me went to the bar and ordered a Gin & Tonic with lots of lime slices. He handed it to me, and said, bet you didn't think I'd remember. Next night was the football game with our alma mater and a rival, it was homecoming too. Of course us that lived in southern states liked to froze.This is September in Northwest Ohio.The last day was a picnic, saying our goodbyes, exchanging e-mail addresses, home addresses. In between I had a chance to see my old house, visit a classmate that had been confined to a nursing home. She didn't know me, and passed that November. We were supposed to have a get together this year in September. It's only going to be a picnic and football game. Many from out of town didn't think it's worth it. No big dinner and party, which we pay for anyway. We have the expense of plane tickets, rental car, motel room (some lucked out they have kids that live there. Mine moved to Mich, Washington DC). Eats for a few days. Are you going with your husband? Wow Y'all have a wonderful time......

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Regarding this thread on the reconnection of my husband with his grade school classmates, they are now in constant touch in Facebook. Come October, they will have a mini reunion when some of those residing abroad would come home for a vacation. One such classmate is in London for 40 years now although it would not be her first time to come home for a vacation but it would be her first time to meet her classmates again. I think it would be a great moment for all of them. At this early, my husband is already preparing some old music and songs that used to sing in class (that would include Home On The Range).

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Lovely story @Marilyn Pahl I enjoyed that. :)

Corie it sounds like your husbands reconnection last year gave him a new lease of life, and he's enjoying the fun of it.

I wonder if his London classmate lives anywhere near me..

...I can't imagine Filipinos..singing Home on the Range..wow, I'd love to hear that!! I hope they all have a fabulous time!!

I personally would never go to a class reunion...none of us would have anything in common these days..

5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Many of my old classmate pals are now dead. The ones left won't talk to me. :D

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I went to my 20 Class Reunion in 1988. It was fun, but some were pretty stunned to see me in a cowboy hat, Wrangler jeans and cowboy boots. Clothes they'd never/ever seen me in before. Well, at the time, I had a horse, was roping and involved with rodeo. I was still fairly skinny from the time we graduated, but some of them had sure gained some weight. I was really surprised at how heavy one of the Varsity basketball players was. It was a nice Reunion though.

There have been two Reunions since that one and one of them was the 42nd Reunion. That one, we just didn't have the finances to fly to it. The other was a few years ago, but it during a family get-together in Orlando, FL and I chose that over us going to that Reunion. Just prior to the 42nd one, one of my classmates started up a Facebook page and then I started up my own page. At that time, there were a good number of my classmates who started a Facebook page, but not only a few of us are on Facebook anymore. I'm still on and that's how I see what goes on with some of them.

Wife had a nice size Reunion in Las Vegas a few years before we met. Got pics of that and boy did they have fun! Since then, wife has had a couple of Mini-Reunions after we met. One of them was in Las Vegas. That one was some 6-months after I met my wife and she was wearing an engagement ring at the time and thrilled to show it off. At that time, we still lived in So California, so we drove in. Had another Mini-Reunion in So California the weekend we got married and some of her classmates came to our wedding. A lady she graduated with was her Maid-of-Honor.

My wife's brother has never been to any of his Reunions. When I asked him why, he told me, "I want to remember the way they looked when we graduated in 1969, not how we look today." I can understand that.........in 1968, I was a skinny 98 pounds, whereas today, I'm 230 pounds at 6'1".

7. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Which one are you marilyn?...ooops just saw where you said you were...nice photo..

9. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

Thank-You......

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never been to a class reunion, although I hope to make it to my 50th in 2019.

11. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

There fun, and we all found lots to talk about. After all we were all the same age, just live in different parts of the country. :)

12. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy reconnecting with classmates. Once i learned how to use facebook, i found people from my past school years. It kind of makes my life feel less disjointed. And i like finding out the twists and turns in their lives since high school.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've only gone to my 5 yr one and not too many changes except for marriages. Then we lived too far and I had my kids and to be honest I couldn't care less. At the 5 yr one most of my friends didn't show, so it was pretty boring.

We had 1,000 in our graduating class.

14. Debbie Seattle

Debbie Seattle Veteran Member
    Registered

(Hi, new to this forum :) )

Left Illinois 45 years ago and haven't been back. Through Facebook have reconnected with lots of old classmates and friends, but just have zero desire to spend all that money to fly back, rent a car and pay for a hotel room for 2 nights. I'm sure I'd have a great time, but would rather use all that money to go somewhere fun(er).

Chrissy Cross and Marilyn Pahl like this.
  15. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

Well first of all A Warm Welcome To You Debbie...I was glad to get back for the 50th. reunion. The ones from out of state we really made an effort. They had a get-together a few weeks ago, and didn't attend. It was going to be a picnic and football game only. No fancy dinner we all pay for anyway. I guess there going to plan something every 5 yrs. At our age there going to have to have something every 5 yrs.:rolleyes: