Remembering A Stranger Your Whole Life?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you ever met someone on a single occasion , or maybe for a day or 2 and remembered them your whole life?

Has someone done something for better or worse whom you've only met briefly, that's caused you to never forget them?

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, when I was fifteen. A man in his late forties, came to play in my first husband’s weekly poker game. After just two hours, right in front of everyone, he told me about the Civil War and that slavery had been over since then.

I never saw him again, but he completely changed the course of my life.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Holly - I haven't met the lady (wish I had)
    I've just finished a book written by Alan Johnson ( past Labour MP) about his childhood
    His Mother was such a wonderful woman and the main thing in life she wanted was a key to her own
    front door. After 17 years on the council waiting list she died and 2 weeks later she was offered a lovely
    'house'. The tears flowed for this woman and her lovely daughter Linda who followed in her footsteps.
    Amazing how a person unknown can impact your thoughts - I will never forget the wonderful 'Lily'

Holly Saunders and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Never met this guy, but really wish I could have..........Frank Abagnale, Jr.. One of only two books that I've ever read, Catch Me If You Can (other was Moby Dick). When I started reading this book, Catch Me If You Can, I could hardly put it down. What he did just fascinated me that much. He did so many illegal things, but at the same time, the FBI called him a "pure genius"! Johnny Carson interviewed him on the Tonight Show.

I wouldn't do what he did, but he sure had guts to do what he did.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, the young married couple who came into the Sandwich Shop I worked at and told me all about Jesus Christ and prayed with me while I asked Him to be my Lord and Savior. I spent about a day and a half with this young couple who changed my life forever when they introduced me to Jesus.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Zig Ziglar..... The first time I heard him speak was in the late 1970’s, and Zig was a great motivation speaker. After listening to him speak, and reading his book (See You at the Top) and listening to some of his motivational tapes, it really helped me to change my thinking around from looking at things negatively into looking for the positive side and making the best of it.
    After that , I read other motivational and self-help books, and my favorites were the ones written by Og Mandino , especially The Greatest Miracle in the World.
    As I am writing this post, and thinking about what strangers really made a big difference in my life, I realized that there was one other important person, that I only met once, and that was W. Clement Stone, owner of Combined Insurance Company of America. When I joined Combined as a sales agent , they actually trained us as much on attitude as they did on selling insurance.
    All my life, I had been almost a recluse, and barely connected with people; but being a sales person forced me to go out, knock on doors, and talk with people I didn’t know.
    I had a hard time learning to do this (and forcing myself to do it) but financial desperation motivated me to at least try.
    We had meetings every morning, and there was always PMA signs taped upon the walls, and every night, I read from one motivational book or another, or at least listened to a tape.
    This has been something that has pretty much stuck with me through my life, and I still listen to self-help tapes a lot when I go to bed. I have apps on the iPad Mini, and put on my headphones and listen to a tape as I am falling asleep.
    It really helps to keep me positive, and trying to always look for the good side in whatever happens, and repeat the motivational slogan, “within every adversity, are the seeds of an equal of greater benefit”.
    Sometimes, it is hard for me to see that until long afterwards, but it has almost always been true.

Holly Saunders and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The film was very good too !

8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

This comes to mind first. Years ago in my youth in Santa Cruz Ca there was a down town hotel called the St George (used to be a very nice place I understand. A U.S. president even stayed there but it became lower income rentals later with still a few nightly rooms I understand. I had a friend who lived there once and so did my brother)

I used to see this white bearded man sitting in the lobby by the window whenever I went down town and walked by there. He was elderly. When I lived in Washington state the Loma Prieta earthquake happened destroying much of down town Santa Cruz including the St George hotel and the Cooper House (the old court house) I wondered about this man. If he was still alive at the time of the earthquake where he went or what happened to him. And I never spoke a word to him. But I still wondered about him.